Help! Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Default Help! Starting problem

Problem:
1994 ZX7, purchased bike about a month ago. Mostly been sitting in my garage while I do some cosmetic upgrades and maintenanceto her (oil/filter change, grips, frame polish and such). The bike would start like a champ but did not want to last night. Bummed.

History:
Been starting the bike every few days to keep up the batteryand the bike was starting with no issues. Last couple of starts the bike has been idling hard and today, the bike will not successful turn over. Starter goes and goes with an occational hiccup but onlysucceed in making my garage smell like fuel.

Prior tinkering:
I installed some new grips before the no start issue happened.I noticed the throttle was feeling a bit sticky and would "lock" at full throttle. Is this full throttle locking normal? Took apart the switch/throttle assembly on the clip to inspect and clean. No issues.

Conclusion:
My brain is telling me thatI flooded the carbs while installing my gripsand cable lubing.

Confession and Plea for advice:
I'm new to the metric bike world, been riding Harleys for a little while so please bare with me.
Should I let the bike sit for while to allow the excess fuel to evaporate,should I use a carb cleaner or starting spray or get into the carbs and clean them?

Thank you in advance.

Jorge

Old 03-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Help! Starting problem

The throttle should not be locking at full throttle. Pretty dangerous, needs to snap back when released. New grips will rub and cause a sticking issue against the housing.

Also, gas starts to deteriorate within days. Seems most people use stabil to help this.