Clutch oil (Magura) problem...HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Default Clutch oil (Magura) problem...HELP!!!!!!

I have a 2002 ZX-7R. I had to replace my clutch rod, and decided to flush and change my clutch oil (external not internal). Went to my local bike shop to buy some clutch oil and they only had Magura Hydraulic Clutch System Mineral Oil, no problem bought and took home and used. A couple of week went by and I noticed that I was leaking oil (very slow leak) at my rubber tubing from the reservoir to the master cylinder, I bought a replacement reservoir (crack at the screw hold anyways) and a new rubber tubing. Also a new master cylinder as mine cracked at the screw hole for the lever, all parts replaced fine, use the Magura oil again, and now after a couple of weeks its leaking again from the rubber tube, or I should say its seeping through the rubber tube, NOT the ends that part is still dry. Also the cap for the reservoir the inside has rubber suction and it’s expanded to about twice the size.

The bike takes DOT 4 oil, and various posts on the net says you can use the higher DOT rating oil in lower DOT rated parts, BUT can’t use lower rated DOT oil in a higher rated DOT part.

My troubleshooting brain says it’s the Magura oil and move to regular brand name DOT 4 hydraulic clutch oil at a local auto store or off the internet.

Q: is it the Magura Hydraulic Clutch System Mineral Oil causing the issue.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:34 AM
1st Gear Member

That would be my opinion

Old 10-10-2013, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I know this is an old thread but.... I just developed a small/slow leak also yet I cant find where it is coming from!! All parts seem dry and show no signs of fluid on the bike!! ...Yet there is a spot on the floor! Very frustrating. What was your final fix?

Old 10-11-2013, 01:54 PM

I dont have the oil leak anymore.

What it was, it was the clutch push rod and seal, most have said its the seal wearing out the metal on the push rod, and just to replace that on, but I replaced both.

That leak would have been on the left side of the bike.

In this thread, I have the leak due to the mineral oil for the hydro clutch, when I replaced it with DOT3 fluid, it stopped, BUT had to replace all of my rubber hoses.

Hope this helps.....

Old 10-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE]In this thread, I have the leak due to the mineral oil for the hydro clutch, when I replaced it with DOT3 fluid, it stopped, BUT had to replace all of my rubber hoses./QUOTE]

DOT 4 is recommended for this ride and of previous zx7's. DOT3 has less ability for heat from my reads. Not sure why a re-line would be needed though unless you went with ss lines or similar.

I have used motul rbf600 (a DOT4) for yrs. good stuff.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help Curtis I will look into that. What I have noticed is the drip mark seems to line up with the master cyl. Again no signs of oil on bike at all.