96 ZX7R Tail light

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 96 ZX7R Tail light

Hey guys,

In doing some maintanance I pulled the tail light off and found that one of the 3 studs for mounting has been snapped off. Think it's relatively easy to back that out and get a new one in it's place, or would I be better off just replacing it?

It's a stock lens right now. If I end up replacing.. does anybody have any suggestions of what route to go? Do you guys prefer LED style, integrated turn signals, so on..

To replace with OEM looks like it's going to be about the same cost, or maybe even more expensive than going to an aftermarket style. I just wonder if the aftermarkets are good quality products or cheaply made chinese type plastic junk!

Any suggestions?

Old 04-15-2010, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

There are some good aftermarkets out there, if you find one you like, go for it. since you have the option of either fixing the old one or throwing it away, trying to fix it wont hurt anything. Give it a shot and if it dont work you can have a new one in the mail. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I tried to back the snapped stud out last night with some vice grips... to no avail though. Not sure how the hell that thing is held in there! Might give it one more try and then will likely be buying a new one. I'll cut it off down low and then try a back out drill bit in there and see if that can get it. If not oh well! I just hope I don't throw $50+ away on some cheap flimsy plastic piece of **** if I buy one off the web. Ha. Buying stuff like that reminds me a lot of shopping at Harbor Freight! The prices are almost sure to be ridiculously lower than anywhere else!! And yeah.. some of the time, you can get exactly what you need, and all works perfect! While on the other hand, you run a big risk with a lot of their tools! Sometimes it'll end up just being a throw away! (still love that store though

Old 04-15-2010, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

That's pretty cool! I didn't realize a forum could sensor my language and stick me a PG rating!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

wow, you've been whoring it up. I get a feeling of accomplishment when every recent post has my name next to it

Yeah we have a Censor on here, its not that invasive, altho it has screwed up a few links for no reason...

I haven't heard much about bad tail lights bought online, but some stores do have poor customer service, unfortunately thats hard to figure out until you need it.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

HaHa, well I was going to say that I'll leave the whoring to you, and let you keep your name as the most recent poster here... but by me saying that... well, you get where I'm going with this! I don't don't mean to steel your thunder! I promise

Old 04-15-2010, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Bah, maybe this will fix it....