1994 zx7L

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Default 1994 zx7L

Can anyone tell me what the "L" stands for and what the difference is between the L and the R model? I have tried google and other searches and can't find anything on the L model and wondering if it really exists. Thanks

Old 07-05-2011, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

The 1994 ZX7 R (ZX 750 M2) was the solo seat homologated superbike version for the AMA Superbike series with some tricker parts for the racer. The ZX7 (ZX 750 L2) was the standard sportbike version. The ZX7 R was a limited run for racing, much like the Honda RC30 and the racing version of the KZ1000R Eddie Lawson replica which was a KZ1000S.

Don't confuse the standard supersports for the racing homologation models where they put on some premium parts to get them allowed for racing. They both may be generally referred to as ZX7 R on stickers, look the same for the most part, but they ain't the same! The most obvious difference is the solo seat tail section, but there are a lot of hidden differences. If you have an honest to goodness ZX7 R (ZX 750 L2) you have a rare bike that should be refurbished or restored:

Otherwise if you have the ZX7 (ZX 750 M2) you have the general sale model, which is cool and all, but isn't worth near the same money. Example, the regular production KZ1000R ELR (a few thousand made) is worth upward of $10,000 for a pristine one, but the KZ1000S ELR homologation bike (50 built) is worth I think over $100,000 now and probably about 3/4 that for a rough one.

Here was some detail I found on Rare Sportbikes for Sale:

The M1 and M2′s sport the aluminum gas tanks, Flatslide carbs, close ration transmission, adjustable swing arm and fully adjustable suspension on both ends. Like most homologation superbikes, they don’t make very good real world, daily rides because 1st gear is too tall. But, once you get them rolling they are a hoot and the close ratio transmission keeps you right in the meat of the power band at all times.

Last edited by klx678; 07-05-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Like klx said, there are different variations of a ride even within the same model year, the important thing to remember is that the bikes model is not what's painted on the fairings. I have a 89 that says ZX7 R on the tail, but it actually sold as a ZX7 (Someone repainted it with an R to make it go faster) but the model is a ZX750 H1 and that's the number you need to order parts. The 90 model is the ZX750 H2 and the lettering continues through the years and variations using I, J, K, L, etc. Hope it helps.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

And if you ever can lay your hands on one of the Superbike homologation bikes for decent money - snag it!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:58 AM

Thank you for clearing this up for me, i'm looking a 94 zx7L that has a rebuilt motor, has been stretched 6" and seams to be pretty good shape, only thing it is missing is windshield and side fairings, everything else is in good shape. Now i have read that you can make the newer (96-03 i think) side fairings fit with little modification, is this true? i have had no luck locating original side fairings for this bike other than bike bandit, which are $460 a side.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bgballin26
Thank you for clearing this up for me, i'm looking a 94 zx7L that has a rebuilt motor, has been stretched 6" and seams to be pretty good shape, only thing it is missing is windshield and side fairings, everything else is in good shape. Now i have read that you can make the newer (96-03 i think) side fairings fit with little modification, is this true? i have had no luck locating original side fairings for this bike other than bike bandit, which are $460 a side.
Stretched 6" could mean flogged to within 6" of its engine life, so be wary. You may be able to get the side panels from one of the aftermarket racing supply houses, like Airtech.

When I was selling bikes we got one of the nicest Suzuki GS750s we'd ever seen. Virtually perfect and ran out well... we later learned it was a big bore cylinder and the bike had been drag raced, then put back to stock, except the big bore. The engine let loose. We were going to give the customer back his money, but he wanted to work with us, he liked the bike. We did like a 50/50 split or maybe more in his favor on labor and cost on parts. It was a deal for us and he got a virtually new big bore GS750. We both walked away from his deal relatively happy... but not so much from the guy's deal who traded it in. I don't think he ever had the guts to stop back in.

So be wary of anything that is set up in any sort of race type manner... it just may have been raced. By the way, see if you can still get a clutch basket and clutch assembly, that would be a part that would weaken with hole shots if the guy did thrash it some.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:15 PM

hello can any body help me plz i have a 94 zx7 ninja an i have power evrywhere on the lights on the fuse boxs. an when i run a peace of wire from the starter 2 the batt it click over but when i dont do that an i try 2 start it normal it wont do anything at all. no fule pump nothin.. an i have power at the on off run switch... if u can help me let me know plz thank u .. u can email me 2 at billy_fieldhouse@yahoo.com thank u.