Random Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Default Random Power Loss

So I'm looking at about 2200 miles on my 06 636. Over about the past 500 miles, I have had 3 different occurances of almost complete power loss during medium acceleration. All three times were at different RPM (~7000 5th gear, ~9000 2nd gear, ~5000 3rd gear). It's a toss up between an electronically controlled power loss from the PCM, or a fuel delivery problem. The loss in power occurs very quickly, and the return in power is smoothe, but just as quick (lasting in total ~2 or 3 seconds). Because of the irradic variation in the occurances, I'd like to rule out the PCM malfunctioning. Fuel delivery sounds like the logical problem to me. I assume nothing was sucked into the jets, otherwise the power loss would've been to only one cylinder, which I'm sure I would've felt some sort of excessive vibration. The only possiblity I can come up with is that I'm sucking up a water cell in my fuel from time to time. I live in a very humid enviroment (south florida). I also noticed the other day while fueling up, that there was a fair amount of fluid around the fuel neck in the tank. I soaked my finger in it for a sec, and then took a wiff to see if it was just gas, but I didn't smell anything. So I soaked some up with my shirt, took another wiff, and could smell some fuel. Anyone else ever had a problem like this? I assume we don't have water seperaters, correct? And do we have fuel filters? Thanks for any info.

-Dan

Old 09-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Default RE: Random Power Loss

you have no idea how bad i would feel if it was the throttle bodies...as much as ive heard about them, and with mine going out, i wouldnt toss the idea out, i dont know what it is, but hopefully you figure it out....

Old 09-23-2006, 09:09 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Try water remover first. It's the quickest & cheapest. Get some RXP.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:04 PM

dc dont overfill your tank at the gas station, the pressure in there is creating a vaccum and sucking moisture through that fuel cap and keyhole. you might have the throttle body/ efi problem undereducated got. take it to tony, let him ride it, or ill ride it and tell you whats normal and whats not.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:31 PM

Well, it could be the throttle bodys. I was involved in an accident 6/13/06 because of the "random" loss of power. I was going along..say about 60mph and the bike lost power. There was a moron rider behind me..that wasnt paying attention and at the same time decided to be a smartass and pass me on the inside. He lost control and basically t-boned me at 60mph. After I got out of the hospital (broken leg,ankle,foot,heel,Collar bone,Left Thumb) I got the bike and it started right up. I had my local stealership look at it and of course no problem was found. Take a look at uneducatedstudent post about taking his baby to the shop. That will explain the whole throttle body issue because I really think that its a BIG PROBLEM that is just now coming to light. Good luck and if I can help in any way let me know!

Old 09-24-2006, 12:14 AM

ORIGINAL: FuryofGreen

dc dont overfill your tank at the gas station, the pressure in there is creating a vaccum and sucking moisture through that fuel cap and keyhole. you might have the throttle body/ efi problem undereducated got. take it to tony, let him ride it, or ill ride it and tell you whats normal and whats not.
Yeah, maybe I'll take it by Tony's and have him take a look at it. I do overfill my tank pretty heavily, so for now I'll stop doing that and see if I get another power loss.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 AM
1st Gear Member

dude...shouldnt you be sueing Kawasaki? that could have been your last ride. glad you are ok.
ORIGINAL: Olympia636

Well, it could be the throttle bodys. I was involved in an accident 6/13/06 because of the "random" loss of power. I was going along..say about 60mph and the bike lost power. There was a moron rider behind me..that wasnt paying attention and at the same time decided to be a smartass and pass me on the inside. He lost control and basically t-boned me at 60mph. After I got out of the hospital (broken leg,ankle,foot,heel,Collar bone,Left Thumb) I got the bike and it started right up. I had my local stealership look at it and of course no problem was found. Take a look at uneducatedstudent post about taking his baby to the shop. That will explain the whole throttle body issue because I really think that its a BIG PROBLEM that is just now coming to light. Good luck and if I can help in any way let me know!

Old 09-25-2006, 07:23 AM

Ya, my lawyer and I are looking into it. I got 100k from the moron who hit me in the accident. Now its on to suing Kawasaki!!! )

Old 09-25-2006, 07:54 AM

So what is this throttle body problem that I keep hearing about? What in them exactly is failing? Understanding that will help me to determine if that is a possible cause to my problem. Thanks.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:11 AM

Its actually a sensor that goes bad that controls the postion of the butterflys. The only way to fix it is to change the throttle bodys.

Quick Reply: Random Power Loss