My Nightmare, Help me for $$. **Warning STORY**

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 06:28 PM
Exclamation My Nightmare, Help me for $$. **Warning STORY**

I plan on listing everything going on with my bike and what we have done in a large format here, I'm hoping giving a COMPLETE un-abridged history of my problems will help us better solve this, anyone who helps me solve/points me in the right direction I will Personally PayPal $50 so worth putting in your 2 cents.

I purchased my 05 636 ZX6-R 2 months ago from a shop and i've had a combined total of 35 minutes ride time so let this nightmare START!

I purchased the bike, was told fully running no issues. I had aftermarket cosmetics and frame sliders put on it changed the Chain + Sprocket & Valve Adjust.

I purchased a PC 3 for the bike and had it be the first thing put on, once we got everything in and assembled we started Tuning for the PC3 on a Dyno @ the shop.

First things first, the bike got so hot during dyno tune, even with the fans on the cat would glow red which lead to us burning a ferring which we resolved the burnt part.

We first wraped the CAT and continued to tune, we noticed an issue during tuning no mater what we did at 11k-11.5k it would go from 95 WHP to 50-40 at 12k 40-35 at 13k and 30 at 14-15k no matter what tune no matter what we did.

This is when we did the valve adjustment and thank god we did it was TIGHT as ****, so now that valves are back in spec we ran it again same issue this is when we noticed despite the heat wrap the cat would glow an INSANELY Bright red from what we could see, ok no problem cut into the cat and gutted it and welded it back, This bike is using stock exhaust with a TWO BROTHERS DUAL Slip-on.

When we took the CAT Comb out it was very much almost broken down large dust particles before the cutting etc. so we after it was welded put it back on the bike, same issue at 11-15k.

Spoke to a buddy who works solely on 636's he said check the fuel pump. first TADA moment.

We checked fuel pump off it was 39-40 PSI and while running it was 39-40 now spec is 40-41 not running and 44 while running.
When it ran and we gave it any FUEL at all as it sat it would drop from 40psi to about 20ish psi.

So the shop tech canablized 4 different 05 636 fuel pumps + assemblies to get me one that worked at 44psi.

Threw it on dyno tuned it and got 104 WHP and no more drop off until 14.9-15.2k which is expected as we are getting red line.

They released the bike to me and sent me on my way, rode it for a mile and noticed an issue. FI light comes on and turns off. (well come back to this.) this kept happening and ultimately I got stuck on the side of a freeway had it towed back.

While doing 85-110 (In MEXICO), The bike decided to kill the cluster no power just an FI light wouldn't start.

Realized it blew a fuse they swapped it and tada fired right up they knew about the FI popping on and off and suggested we take PC3 off maybe it was the problem. Went back today to ride it without the PC3 and for the first half mile everything was fine....

HERE is where it gets SUPER frustrating.

After about a half mile if I let off the throttle FI kicks on if I give it throttle you'll hear and feel the engine trying to gain power but for the first second or so you feel it lug/chug then takes off and the FI shuts off, If you give it too much power FI kicks back on only for a second or so and then continues so it has LUGGING moments.

FI light doesn't flash in a sequence we can notice a pattern to code check and the CODES arn't stored on this bike FML.

So now our problem is...

Why did the bike blow that fuse #1, #2 why is it throwing FI after about a mileish of time only on decel or heavy acel, why is the light temporary and causing the lugging. #3 is the PC3 part of the issue. remember test #1 it's on test #2 it's off.

Regardless of what we do, when we throw it on the dyno and hammer the **** out of it, it WILL NOT throw an FI code.

I paid $3700 for the bike at 26k miles and put another 1.3k into parts and maint. I'm about 5k into this bike and losing my ****ing mind.

Heres what the tech is doing now.. TESTING the Fuel Pumps pressure again to check and make sure the pump isn't our cause.

2 Suggestions given by friends are, FUEL Filter clog & Butterfly Throttle Servo failure/grinding.

anyone else got any other ideas? The owner of this shop is a friend and I really don't want to have to tell him fork back my 5k I gave you I'm buying another bike elsewhere.

HELP!!!!!!

Old 01-27-2019, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

About the only active discussions on this forum revolve around KLX 250S bikes. You may have better luck at this forum: