Just got my 04 ninja...need a helmet..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Just got my 04 ninja...need a helmet..

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/2/6/80455026.htm

This is the link to the actual ad I respnded to. I got it for $5800. 3800miles. no scratches.

I now need to get a helmet, any adivice or whereabouts for a good helmet.. The HJC seems reasonable. I might just go buy one at the local cycleshop, they are running abour $149.

ANy suggestions? Also what about a jacket?
Oh yeah and some gloves..???

Old 09-18-2005, 09:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Just got my 04 ninja...need a helmet..

Go here to buy your helmet. http://www.helmetshop.com/ You can save about 20-30 dollars even after shipping. I've bought a couple from them.

Go to your local shop where you found the HJC you like. Find the right size and then order it. Depending on where
you live, you should get it in 3-4 days. I like HJC helmets. I'm on my 2nd one. It's the only one that fits my head
right. I've tried Shoei's, Arai's, Nolan's, among others. Just didn't fit right.

I don't know if you have ever been helmet shopping before, but this is what I do. Finding the right size can be tough. It
should fit snug, but not so tight it pushes you cheeks to your nose. Put it on and grab the back and try to pull up. If it moves
more than a half inch it's too big. Twist it sideways on your head. Shouldn't move.

Same with jackets. What kind do you want? Leather, mesh, textile?
Don't get it too big. It will balloon up when you ride. I have mine just big enough to layer a couple of shirts under if I have to.
Sizing differs from manufactures, also. I have a 46 leather / mesh Fieldshear. My Joe Rocket Alter Ego is a 48 and it fits a little small
under my arms.

For gloves, well you are on your own. I've got more pairs of gloves than anyone should have. Cold weather, rain, summer mesh, spring / fall, you name it.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the ramble.

Kevin

Old 09-18-2005, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

awesome response, thank you, that helped. I guess I want a leather jacket cause i heard they give the most protection. I heard they have a bit of metal in the shoulders or something. Plus its going to get cold here for a few mnths.

Tomm.. Im going to go and try on a helmet. I also have to get this bike registered; i guess I just bring all my paperwork, or the title i guess to the DMV and they just give me a temp tag or something? Then how do you put the temp tag on? I imagine I just have to buy a license plate holder, cause it doesnt have one.I dont have turn signals on it, they were all taken off, so I need those too prolly down the line. How much are those integrated lights?

How do I get a motorcycel license? I have to renew my driver license by tuesday.
I took a motorcycle rider course about a year ago, but i never turned it in for the license. It was a 2-3 day course. I think I should prolly take it agian even though it is expensive prolly a safe thing to do.
Plus I heard the motorcycle test at the DMV is quite hard if your not experienced. And I am definitly not.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:28 PM

IM going to start off by saying nice bike! Gota love those 636 and that blue is nice. But moving on your going to buy and nice bike and a cheap helmet, WHY? One thing to remember is you get what you pay for and it is very true with helmets. The cheaper helmets have less air flow, dont know where you live but her in florida that is one of my main problems, getting too damn hot! But the thread about trying them one and how to tell if it fits is good. You want to get it a little tight b/c it will loosen up then when doing fast speeds it will start to shake on your head, dont want that. So think twice before going out and buyin a cheap helmet.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...eafCatId=40103

Old 09-18-2005, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Holy crap that is a really expensive helmet; $499, is that the one you bought. I mean damn that is really expensive, I can see maybe $250. i just dont have the money for that. Is that your recommendation, what about another bit less expensive brand. BUt ya it is certainly hot here, . I just got back from going up the street to get a sandwhich, and sweating my ***** off, all though the wind really feels good when it cools u. Not wearing a helmet is pretty nice, but Im not trying to get used to that, I really want a helmet. But ill have to do without one untill I find the right one. I dont drive much anyway, being this college town is really really small, all I do is study and go to the gym. But i really want a helmet.

Im up here in tallahassee, it gets cold for like 5 mnths, its even got down to 40s since i been here at FSU. BUt **** now its like 90-95 degrees, eh.

I been using mountain biking gloves full fingers with rubber over the knuckles and fingers, not much protection, but it prevents any slipage and abosrbs sweat. Will do till I get some real gloves.

Man this bike is really fast, I havent taken it over 50mph lol, just no where to do that in this college town. DOing 50 feels fast to me so far.
There are some roads that lead out of town which are pretty twisty and turny, but I dont have a helmet yet or even a license plate since I got it friday night in Atlanta. So tomm. morning I will head down to DMV for my plate so i can park at school and not get a tix while I ride. Im really feening to take this bitch over 50mph, but im not going to untill i get a motorcycle license.

Dang I just realized there arent any frame sliders on it, I rememebr the guy saying there was, so what kind should i get and where, or should i just get it at local bike shop where ill be getting oil changes.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...0103#altImages

This is one crazy cool helmet!!

Old 09-18-2005, 11:37 PM

suomy makes the best helmets and yes i bought the silver and black one. But its like im not even wearing one. Have fun on that bike and ride safe.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Damn I guess I gotta face the facts that Im going to have to throw down some duckets for gear.

I see your over there in sarasota. My old neighbor was Nicole Bolliterri, the Tennis place, Im sure you heard of it.

When you say the helmet was like not even wearing one, is that casue of the air flow or something, i dont understand. Also I been wondering, If i gel up my hair and put a helmet on does it mess up your hair, most likely right. I know stupid questoin but just wondering if im goign to be wearing a hat all the time, I mean I gotta look good in school ya know, lol. Not like i have long spikey hair, its short, but kinda curly/spikey.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:09 AM

YA I USED TO PLAY BASEBALL OVER AT BOLLI. AND YA THE AIRFLOW IS REALLY GOOD! DUDE ITS GOING TO MESS THE HAIR UP. IF YOUR WORRIED PUT A SMALL BOTTLE OF GEL IN THE REAR SOUNDS GAY BUT MY FRIEND RIDES A GSXR WITH A BOTTLE OF GEL UNDER THE REAR SEAT. GOTA DO WHAT U GOTA DO.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

haha, good looking, Ill just wear a hat to school, or do like you said, put a small bottle of gel under the cowl, thats about all it holds anyways, gotta be good for something.

Peace.

Quick Reply: Just got my 04 ninja...need a helmet..