HELP!!! Ticking Noise From Engine- Cam Chain Tensioner???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Default HELP!!! Ticking Noise From Engine- Cam Chain Tensioner???

I have a 2003 ZX6-RR with 8500 miles on it, and for about three hundred miles, I've been hearing a loud tick (like a timebomb) coming from the front right of the engine. It sounds like the cam chain tensioner problem I had with my 98' F3, but that bike had over 20,000 miles on it. This one has less than half. Has anyone had this type of problem? I know these engines are known to be noisy, but my friend has a 04' 636 with the same mileage, and the sound isn't hear on his bike. I went to my mechanic, and he told me to find out if there have been cam chain tensioner problems with this bike, so here I am. Any diagnosis would help, but I hope its not major cause I can't afford to dump anymore money on this thing for the moment (I just spent $300 to get a pair of Metzeler M3s, for tires and getting them put on and my wallet is suffering).

If it is the cam chain tensioner, how long can I ride with it ticking? Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 05-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Default RE: HELP!!! Ticking Noise From Engine- Cam Chain Tensioner???

has it had a vavle adjustment ever?

Old 05-16-2006, 10:03 PM

no it hasn't, but I didn't think that it needed one yet after only 8,500 miles. Isn't that extremely early? If they need them this often, I'll have to sell this bike and look into a different one, cuz that's too much money to spend every 8500 miles. I put at least 2,500 a month on it, commuting to work and twisties on the weekend. What is the regular valve check interval?

Old 05-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

I think valve check is at 12,500. As far as the chain tensioner it is an 80.00 part and took me 30 mins to install form start to clean up.

I would be looking for a new machanic if I were you too.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:11 AM

on 05 636's isnt the vavle adjustment @ 5k miles?

Old 05-17-2006, 02:53 AM

i have the same bike and the same ticking and my bike only has almost 4k its not to loud but i can here it.
I would deff like to know what it is also, im begining to think the 03 rr is junk i never here anything good about them and do you have realy clunky shifts.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:45 AM

BTW, my bad the ticking seems to be coming from the left front side of the engine. I heard this ticking at very low pitch when I was around 4k too, and it just is getting louder (especially over the last 300miles). Also, my shifts are not clunky, but for the past 500 miles I'm having trouble finding neutral at stops, and I sometimes I get a false neutral when switching from first to second. This isn't cause I don't know what I'm doing either, cuz I've done a few track days, and I've been riding for over 3 years, with 25k in the saddle. I'm starting to feel like this bike is a piece of **** too, and I don't know what I'm gonna do. If it is the cam chain tensioner, or the valves, wtf are they giving me problems for after only 8500 miles??? Makes me feel like I bought a junker, so I have to decide if I should get rid of it and pick up something else.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:51 AM

Same here with the finding neutral and the same with the false nuetral, Yea i tell myself every day I SHOULD OF GOT A 636, i here nothing but good things about them and i dont know if you know but the 04 RR kawi actualy did a whole new desighn for motor and trans that tells you right there that somthings wrong.
Ohh btw did you try full synthetic.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:00 AM

I'm not sure what kind of oil was last used, I took it to the shop for the oil change cause I wanted some other stuff done too. I doubt that full synthetic will stop the crazy noise I hear. I didn't know about the engine redesign in 04', but you just convinced me to sell it. I went out and listened to my bike with my friend who rides a beat up old F2, and his bike sounds better than mine. The sound is real loud, and has got louder over the 100 miles I put it through today, so its going to the shop, and if it doesn't cost over 2-3 bills, i'm fixing it and selling it. The other bike I was looking at was a Z1000, but I think Kawasaki just put me off their bikes for good.I hope you have more luck with yours than mine, but don't expect that noise to stop. I kept ignoring it, and now its louder than my slip-on. The other bike I was looking at was a Z1000, but I think Kawasaki just put me off their bikes for good.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

These bikes are known for the camchain tensioner making noise. Actually it's the cam chain that's making the noise. The best thing to do is get the manual adjustable tensioner and replace the stock unit. I think Kawasaki.com sells it for about $62. Manual Cam Chain Tensioner P.N. 12048-1175. You can find others on ebay also. Mine does the same thing sometimes. If you don't want to replace it, you can stop the noise temporarily by putting the bike in seond gear and rocking it forward with the engine off. It'll go away for a bit but may come back. My F4i had the same problem also. On my old racebike, I drilled a hole in th back of the tensioner plunger, tapped it and installes a bolt with a locknut to prevent the tensioner from loosening. I may try that on this or might just buy one.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Ticking Noise From Engine- Cam Chain Tensioner???