Fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Default Fuel pressure

Hey guys i've been lurky for a while, trying to take in as much info as i can so i dont post stuff that has already been stated. I need to know what the right fuel pressure should be for a 06 636 motor. I am wanting to run a aftermarket fuel pump but i want to make sure i buy the right one, so i dont mess up the injectors. I bought this motor from a guy who totaled his bike, so i'm putting it in a golf cart project. I have the stock fuel pump but i dont think i can make this work with the gas tank i am using. So any info you have i would really appreciate!

thanks

-Mike

Old 12-03-2007, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Fuel pressure

This is for a 2005 zx-6r 636 but it should be the same:

44 psi with the pump running
41 psi with the pump not running

Here is the page right out of the service manual:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ystemSpecs.jpg
Name:  FuelSystemSpecs.jpg
Views: 4482
Size:  55.9 KB

Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Couldn't ask for more accurate info than that!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:38 PM

badass! thanks a lot! So now the tricky part is to find a pump that will run that. and i will have to wire up a fuel pressure gauge just to make sure everything is running right! Thanks again for the fast response!

and too anyone interested, if you want pictures of this thing when it's done shoot me a pm. Should be running and ready for test and tune for new years!

-Mike

Old 12-03-2007, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

You will definitely need to post pics somewhere generally, since it will be powered by a 636 I think you should post it in this forum as a new thread. A 636 powered go-kart sounds awesome! Have you seen the GSXR powered kart?

I would get the biggest in-line pump I could and then put an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator and control it from there.

If you have any more questions, I have the complete manuals for an 05 ZX-6R. If there is somewhere I can post it, I will put the zipped folder up for download. Or if your email can accept it, it's 17.7mb zipped. My Gmail account takes up to 20mb attachments.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Check the JEGS catalog or online. Moroso, Carter, Holey and others make good fuel pmps that are small and supply enough fuel for a motorcycle engine. These pumps are made for 5 plus liter engines and the 636 is only .636 liters so supply will not be a problem.

Can't you get someone to weld the 636 fuel pump mount pad to your cart gas tank? The pumps are fairly cheap on ebay and I'm sure you can find a smashed up 636 tank for donor mount cheap too.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:58 AM

i have the 636 pump and i am pretty sure i can cut a hole in the bottom of the fuel cell and run it from there. I would just have to extend the fuel line maybe 5-8inchs longer then stock and i wasn't sure if that would mess with the pressure at all. I just dont want to run the risk of hurting the motor since i got such a good deal on it. I will also be doing the jumper mod to free up all potencial power. I'll throw some pics up as soon as i get my other comp back up that died today. I just hope after it's done the golf coarse will let me on for some bunker jumping

it will look similar to this. http://youtube.com/watch?v=ac6YMBN_xkw
but mine will be better..cuz it's mine!

-Mike

Old 12-04-2007, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Lengthing the fuel line will not cause any changes in fuel pressure, it will just take a little more fuel to fill that line up to the set pressure. Since the ECU primes the pump before cranking, you will not see a difference in number of cranks to get it started either. This could happen with longer fuel lines if it did not prime the fuel line first.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:20 AM

Awesome thats what i wanted to hear! less money for me to spend since i picked the stock pump up for 20 bucks shipped to my door off ebay! well then i guess i gotta start building and stop typing lol. random question, what is the normal opperating temp you guys are seeing on this motor? i just need to know my guide lines when tuning.

thanks agian you guys are awesome!

-Mike

Old 12-05-2007, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member

The digital gauge on the tach does not read temps until about 140 degrees F and normal running temps go from 170 to 200. Water boils at 212 degrees so anything over 212 is not good. I have only seen it hit 195 at the highest and I was stuck in traffic going up hill on the hottest day of the year in the middle of NH Bike Week (Weirs beach).

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure