bike is acting weird, i need some help asap

Old 07-30-2006, 12:26 AM
Default bike is acting weird, i need some help asap

i have a 2001 zx6r. the bike runs great when it gets moving but when i start from a stop the power is like dead and then when the rpms get a little hogher then it is fine. but down low it has 0 power. i was on a slight incline today and i could not get the bike to move it would bog down and stall. anytime im on an incline it just wants to stall, even if im goign to slow and already moving. even in first gear. i was going up a hill today in first gear going at a decnt rpm and bogggg and stall and literally impossible to get going again and the hills here are not that steep. but like i said once i get moving it runs fine. .
when is start froma stop sometime ill get moving in first and go to give it a good ammount of throttle and it boggsss for a few seconds then it gets to a higher rpm then its fine. its really friggen weird and i dont understand if it normal for this bike to have no power down low what so ever. if you gusy think i might not know how to ride thats not the case cause i have been driving sportbikes for 6 years and i just bought this bike recentl and today is the first day i really got to go out and ride it but it just doesnt seem normal. if you know what im talkign about plese chime in and give me some oppionions or help cause i cant deal with this crap. i had a line of cars behine me cause i kept stalling everytime i would try to get it moving. it would start to move like normal then when the cluth is fully out and i wanna now start to give it throttle to actually get crusing it stalls as if it were running out of gas.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: bike is acting weird, i need some help asap

Probably water in the gas. Drain the carbs and add some Heet water remover. Since they started adding ethanol to the fuel, a lot of people are having similar problems with cars too. Ethanol attracts/ absorbs water/ moisture from the air and it all settles at the bottom of the tank and gets sucked in the fuel pump and into the carbs/ injectors. There is a great product for this called RXP. Try that. Also, check your air filter and make sure it's clean. Let me know.

Also look at this thread: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_54918/tm.htm

Old 07-30-2006, 02:57 AM

i have the gas tank off and drianed that, drained the lines by the pump. now i have no clu what the bleed screw is to drain the carbs. can anyone plese post a pic of were im supposed to bleed the carbs??

Old 07-30-2006, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I PM'd you. Drain the carbs with the screw at the very bottom of each float bowl a couple of ounces and re-tighten the screws.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:30 AM

i think i took out the wrong screw, it had a spring on it with a needle tip. what the heck do i do know?

Old 07-30-2006, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Put it back carefully with the spring first.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:36 AM

does anyone have a factory spec for the piolet air screw. the one the the bottom of the float bowl facing the engine. i believe its the piolet airscrew. anyway does anyone have specs for them cause i took them out and have no clue what adjustment to put them back in. i have an 01 zx6r.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

wow, your screwed. do you have a pipe on your bike ? did you or anyone ever mess with the jetting, air screw, needle clip position ?

try 2 1/2 to 3 turns turn out from the seated position.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Put it back to the same # of turns like the other 3 were. They should all be the same.

Old 07-30-2006, 04:48 PM

i have a d&D slip on and a k&N filter. from what i remember they appear to be about 3 1/2 turs out. they now look about how they looked yesterday. but im still not sure. but still if anyone has a manual factory spec please let me know

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bike is acting weird, i need some help asap