back firing

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 05:08 AM
Default back firing

does anybody know what would cause my zx6r to back fire?when i rde it will back fire when i let off the gas and even when i excelerate. it is now running hotter and is much harder to start. sometimes it shuts off in the middle of riding. if anyone know s anything about this kind of problem, i am all ears

Old 12-27-2005, 06:07 AM
Default RE: back firing

What kind of mods have you done to your bike?

Old 12-27-2005, 01:05 PM

sounds like you may need to richen up your mix

Old 12-27-2005, 08:27 PM

Remo's question is a valid one.

What mods have been done? Did you buy the bike new? How many miles on it and has it ever had a service?
If you don't know what mods were done, it would be best to not ride the bike anymore until you find out.

Did you do anything to the bike recently that preceeded the backfiring issue? How many miles did you ride it before this problem started?

If you have added a Power Commander (PC) and or changed the exhaust, you have changed the air/fuel mixture ratio. If the PC has an incorrect map loaded into it (one not specifically for your bike/ exhaust combination) that may possibly be the problem.
A rich fuel mixture is usually the culprit of back firing not a lean mixture. The unburnt fuel detonates in the combustion chamber out of sequence as you crack open or close the throttle. Check your exhaust for a dark powdery residue. If it is a light tan then you may have a timing/electrical issue. If you added an aftermarket exhaust without adding a PC or another aftermarket elctronic fuel injection module, that can produce a lean fuel mixture that will eventually cause damage to your engine.

If you are not qualified to research the information I've suggested, Find a qualified mechanic or person you trust who has experience with the ZX-6R and aftermarket modifications. If you can't afford to have a mechanic look at it, consider waiting until you can because the damage you may incur may be much more expensive than having it looked at.

Let us know what happens.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2005, 06:22 AM

Another thing I thought of is if you do have a power commander, disconnect it and see if the problem continues.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:21 PM

sounds like to me you need to take it to a shop and let them see if they can figure out whats wrong, if your like me, that would be your best bet.... i start taking **** apart like that trying to trouble shoot, and end up tearing up more stuff than if i would have left it alone and paid someone to look at it. a couple of my friends here work on them, so i guess i am kinda lucky there...

Old 12-28-2005, 08:42 PM

i have a full rs-3 yosh exhaust and a stage one dyno jet kit my bike is a 99 with a 01 motor swap and has 15000 o the motor.