1998 zx6 couple problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 1998 zx6 couple problems...

so i was on this website about a month ago and posted a thread about the bike asking if i should pick it up for 300 dollers... it runs and has 18900 miles on it... i bought it... so when i got home like any guy would have done i sat there staring at it for hours... lol... (this is my first bike)... and i started playing with it... taking things off to make it look better painting and electrical stuff... but since this is my first bike im not very experienced with them... ive been working on cars for years but never bikes.... so its kinda new... anyways so heres the problems if someone can help me...

the battery: the guy i bought it from said its new and hes a friend so i dont think hes lieing, yet the battery will only stay charged for either 2 startes withen 10 min of eachother or it will just die if i leave it connected to the bike for about 2 or 3 min... but if i take the cables from the battery off the battery will stay charged so i dont think its the battery but what could be sucking so much power out of a fully charged battery i charge it for atleast 3 hours before i ride... it might help to let you know the brake light is constintly on even when im not on the break... and the back two turn signals do not work at all... and all of my turn signals do not work... but the two front turn signals light up they just dont blink if i turn the turn signals on... lol... nor does the gauges blink when i turn the signals on either... so im guessing its a wire somewere... duh but were?? and i checked the fuses there all fine...

other then that i took off the exhaust and am running straight from the header but it looks just like i threw a stubby exhaust kit on there.. but its 10X louder... i know you cant run straight header for long in a car without blowing the seals... will it mess the bike up also?

btw i live in surprise az if anyone wants to hang out and help me work on the bike...

Old 01-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

electrical im not so good at but iwould'nt run it with out the pipe on it. it will cause problems the motor needs the back pressure

Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I think yo're going to need a manual for the wiring diagram and will have to go through the lot. I'd check the feed from the battery to the ignition switch. fuse block for corrosion. Basically work your way through the wiring systematically

gammac

Old 01-18-2009, 08:42 AM
1st Gear Member

You might have a grounded out wire some where on the frame. Check the wires to see if there is any bear spots on them and make sure that the brake light and turn signals are wired up right. that might be your cause for the battery draining out so fast but it sounds almost like the bike isn't chrarging the battery. But i know you have to ride it for the battery to charge up. Hope you find out what's going on with your bike.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

hey thanks for the replies... so i took the bike apart and worked on it for about 12 hours straight! lol... so anyway come to fine out there is a lil switch on the front right side of the bike so i turned it on and sure enough the blinkers and rear lights work now... as for the rear brake light... the part that holds the foot peg and rear brake pedal is the wrong peice so it was holding the brake just enough to turn the brake light on and keep it on... so the battery doesnt die anymore... i also just painted the bike black and put the exhaust back on... and when i droped it doing about 20 mph i put a hole in the clutch cover just small enough for it to drip oil... so alls i need to do is fix that and i got a bike for 100 bucks with 19k miles on it... pretty good yea?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

right on SR! post sum pics of your score!

Old 01-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Right on SR, nice

Old 01-24-2009, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey thanks guys... let me post some pics of it... its not the nicest thing out there but shes my baby and im not done yet... im getting a streetfighter front end and doing a custom molding of the rear and using the zx6r seat...
btw what does SR mean? lol sorry im a new rider

Name:  P1210009.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  P1210010.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  P1210011.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  93.5 KB

oh yea i did my first wheelie the other day... a 3000gt thought he could hang and i reved and poped the clutch at 6500 rpms and a friend riding with me said i was about 5 feet off and held it for about 5 sec... it was fun though

Last edited by SproketRocket; 01-24-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 01-25-2009, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

she's not to bad looking actualy. for the pic's loks like a new chain and sproket might be a good investment.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Default Where can I get mirrors?

I have a '98 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6E. It's my first bike. I can't seem to find mirrors for it. When I google it or search on e-bay, I only get fits for ZX6R's or newer bikes. I've tried A&J Cycle Salvage in PA as well and they don't have them. Can someone please tell me where I can get mirrors?

Quick Reply: 1998 zx6 couple problems...