Oil dissapearing ZX14R

Old 11-29-2017, 11:55 PM
Cool Oil dissapearing ZX14R

Can anyone tell me why my oil is disappearing? I laid it down a few weeks back but it wasn't a very bad wreck the bike is in great running condition, but my oil is disappearing. I thought it was my water pump because I saw a little water in the oil. I replaced the water pump and flushed out engine and water system. I got everything back together Now my oil is disappearing, I know its not my water pump now its has to be something else and I don't what it is causing it to do that. Oil was at top full mark in sight glass ran it for about 10 min and literally the oil is not even visible in the sight glass anymore, oil doesn't appear to be milky, its just going some where. I'm at a loss. Thanks guys.

Last edited by da014ri; 11-30-2017 at 12:55 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-30-2017, 11:35 AM

I have an idea of what it might be. The crank case pressure is rising higher than then cooling system pressure. Pushing the oil into the cooling system through the water pump. I have to take apart AGAIN to test this theory. Now just have to now find out why the crank case pressure is getting to high. I think that it is the Air Switching Valve or the Air Suction Valve, have to take apart and test. I read in the service manual that the Air Switching Valve is very sensitive to shock and will damage it. I don't think its a head gasket, the bike runs excellent, no signs of a blown head gasket. If anybody has any other ideas please don't hesitate to let me know or confirm my analysis. thanx guys.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:58 PM
Thumbs up oil Disappearing

Ok, went out there this morning to check out oil and to my surprise the oil is at to top mark again in the sight glass, Thank God nothing major. It maybe because I am running a cheaper oil other than Kawasaki brand oil, the viscosity is the same (10w-40) which I run the viscosity with Kawasaki oil (10w-40). This oil seems thinner though, weird. When I lean the bike on the kick stand the oil completely disappears out of the sight glass, the Kawasaki oil never did that. Anyway, I took out the Air Switching Valve and the Air Suction Valve and tested, both prove to be working correctly, just wanted to make sure. As of now my bike has 4500 miles on it. I will change the oil again and switch back to the Kawasaki brand oil at 7600 miles the recommended mileage by Kawasaki. Right now just take it easy and see if any other issues pop up.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Oil should generally be checked with the bike level side-to-side and front-to-back. Check your manual. Oil brand should make no difference on where it falls on the site glass.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:05 AM

Yes, I check the oil with bike standing straight up. I was just giving an comparison of the two oils with the bike being in the same position. Yes after running it for while the oil did end up sitting about the same, it just took while for it to get there. I just put in the cheaper oil to flush out all of the contaminated oil from the crank case.

Last edited by da014ri; 12-01-2017 at 01:25 AM.