Hello To ZX14 Riders !?!?

Old 01-07-2012, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Hello To ZX14 Riders !?!?

Just saying howdy. Seems to be even less activity here than down the dial....
ZX14 guys are the silent type. Maybe too much G force. I'm not fast enough (yet) to have that problem.
Please come on back and throw some feedback in here.
OK, here's a question: what is your favorite mod for making this bike steer easier? I love the high speed stability like nothing I've ever owned before but it can use some better steering. Is it really just the OEM tires?
I'm trying to make the bike the ultimate sport touring bike and it can use a little help.
There, I did it. Come On!

Old 01-07-2012, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome! How do you like your busa killer?? I think yer the first to be on here with a 14. Sweet bikes. We had a nice used one at our dealership for a LOOOONG time. The guy bought it from us new. He wanted a sport tourer. He traded it in for a concours 14. It was more comfortable. You could probably go down one size in the front I guess. Or put a steering stabilzer on it or somethin.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

It's the best bike I ever had. It does long rides very well in stock trim. Tried touring shield and risers but the buffeting just was insane. I figure if the stock bike was designed to go 180+, I should leave it alone and ride it. All day comfort at 80mph and when it's time to go, just lay down for about 10 seconds. Most folks say the tires that come with the bike are a leading cause of poor handling in corners (which this bike is not made to do). I don't want it to handle like a ZX6 but it could use some cornering confidence. The bike is a blast!!

Old 01-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Glad that you are really happy with the 14. How is the suspension set up for you? But yes, the tires will also make a big difference as well in combination with a properly setup ride. Those simple things in life will make you more comfortable and still carve it up.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Glad that you are really happy with the 14. How is the suspension set up for you? But yes, the tires will also make a big difference as well in combination with a properly setup ride. Those simple things in life will make you more comfortable and still carve it up.
The bike is factory spec, which seems a little soft for me (170lb in gear) but where it feels odd is holding a line after setting up throttle. In mid-corner it just feels ready to loose traction. I think it's the tires, so I'll probably go with some good sport touring Dunlops. I like a bike that takes more time and effort to turn. I've been riding a long time and had a hard time getting used to my pure sport bikes because you could dive in so hard last second. This bike does pretty good for it's length and weight and straight line stability is great under insane speed. I think I could give up the stability over 100mph since it is very rare and illegal to ride there most of the time and gain better cornering at 35 to 80 mph. It may be as simple as a real sticky sport touring tire with a smaller profile.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

With any bike wether its a 6r, 10r or 14r, you NEVER use the full potential of the bike unless you take it to the track. I rarely used the full potential of my 05 6r and the few times I went to track days and the drag strip, I probably still didnt use the full potential. These bikes are awesome machines. That new 10r is crazy!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

It may be as simple as a real sticky sport touring tire with a smaller profile.
as in a rounder profile? I have been using a pirelli or dunlop now for a few years. I prefer the rounder front and softer sidewall profiles for my style (pirelli). Less fall in a corner with a controlled feeling. Not a fall into the corner and a "gap" on the controlled traction feeling. I have not tried all of the tires out there since I do not have the budget, but riding is good especially if you are comfy with what you have.

BnG-
That new 10r is crazy!
I would not know, I am still having fun with my old gen ride.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I agree with being comfortable (confident) with the bike. I think the tires will answer most of the basic handling issues, which are small issues IMO. I have always been fond of Avon Storm ST's because of their performance on other bikes. I usually us one size smaller on the rear profile (180) just because of the quicker steering and the dual compund wears well. I may be going to Dunlop Road Smarts this time for a trial. http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...ire.asp?id=101 but I'm not certain if this sport touring tire will work with this bike.

Last edited by brooksie; 01-10-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
BnG- I would not know, I am still having fun with my old gen ride.
When we went to the kawasaki update school, the technology that bike has is crazy. That traction control is amazing. I would love to take it around the track and test her out!

Old 01-13-2012, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd like to see the new 14, as well. As for the 10, I rode an '05 a few years back and it was the hairiest, most fun I've had in a while. Just ***** to the wall and on the edge. I like the 14 for highway work and overwhelming torque for passing.