Nasty head shake

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Nasty head shake

As the front tire wears more and more my old ZX has developed a progressively worsening head shake. It happens constantly at speeds between 40 and 60mph. All it takes is for me to take 1 hand off the bars and it starts shaking. If I let it continue it gets stronger and more violent. My new Pilot road front tire arrives Monday. I'm hoping this is all that's needed for this problem.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

The tires will help, you may want to check the stem bearings at the same time.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Finished taking the front wheel off. Waiting for UPS to drop my new tire off this afternoon. I'm hoping to finish mounting it tonight and going for a slow test ride. Everything else seemed pretty tight in the front end. I'm sure the head shake is due to the old front tire. It's the original from 1997 so I'm guessing this will take care of it.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

1997?!?!? That can't be good. I would also check the head bearing too

Old 08-11-2009, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Test ride confirmed the shaking was due to using that old tire. The Michelin pilot roads feel awesome. Of course that's what everyone says about whatever tire they just mounted because coming off an old tire any new tire is going to feel great.

Head bearings seem ok. Not sure how to check other then yanking the forks in all directions while securing the frame. No play that I can feel. It only has 7500 miles so I'm not too concerned with that yet.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds good. The easiest way I have found to check the head bearings is to apply the front brake and push the bike forward and back. If you hear clicking, it is very loose. Of course, there are better ways but this would give you a heads up to look into it. I have Michelin Pilot Roads on the back of my ZRX with a Pilot Power on the front. I love those tires and I will set up the 11 with them too.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Right on, congrats on the comfort level with your "new" bike. lol

Old 08-12-2009, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

yes I'm getting into the comfort zone on my mean green machine. Friday I'll be picking up a wheel balancer to fine tune both front and back wheels. My mounting jobs worked but I never balanced them afterwards. Although the ride is smooth in general the front tire bounces noticeably from 85mph and up.

Funny thing about the ZX. It cost me near nothing and it is the only bike my wife loves to ride. I've had 9 bikes altogether. She's gone on maybe 10 very short rides combined. Now that I have the GIVI stuff on the "new" ZX11 she loves it and begs to go riding. Good thing we didn't dish out $23,000 for a new Ultra Classic.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Good thing we didn't dish out $23,000 for a new Ultra Classic.
exactly. So which static balancer did you end up buying, where from kind of thing? I made my static balancer, although I am shopping for a nicer one now.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I found one at Harbor Freight tools - cheap $59 but decided not to purchase it yet. I did, however, balance my front wheel without any special tools. The outcome has been excellent.

As someone else recommended I lifted the front, yanked the calipers, and let the wheel spin freely. I was surprised how well this works. Turned out my wheel bearings are very smooth and let the wheel roll and roll and roll. Anyhow all I needed was 1oz worth of weights on the opposite end of the valve stem. It is well balanced now.

Confirmed this morning on my way to work. Before the balance I could not go beyond 85mph as the front end shook up and down so much it was difficult to keep it up. This morning I went past 90, 100, 110, 125.... smooth as glass. What a difference.

Ok I don't normally hit these speeds on my way to work at 530am. Just wanted to test my work. Not sure if this will work for the rear wheel though. I think the bearings are a bit tighter back there from what I remember.

Quick Reply: Nasty head shake