valve adjustment time coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default valve adjustment time coming soon

Has anyone done their valve adjustments on their ZX11? I'm scheduling mine during the next oil change at 10,000 miles. I'm at 7000 now but should hit 10k in a few weeks. Any advice will be appreciated. Are there any shim kits recommended over others?

Old 07-30-2009, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I did one a few months ago. The manual says to pull the carbs. I just undid the throttle cables at the throttle grip and made some room over the engine by pulling them up. As for shims, I would first check to see what clearance you have, then with a micrometer, I would measure the shim. Then, looking at the manual's table see which shim will replace the one that you have. I would also log all the measurements and shims that you have and the ones that you use. Some of the ones you have in the bike might be used on another valve so its important to know what each one measures out to be. Some of the shims will have a size stamped on them, others won't. Then I would go to a dealer that is willing to sell you shims from their inventory.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't trust what is stamped on the shim. Get you a good micrometer to measure thickness. I've seen them as much as a 1/2 size off.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:14 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Yes, using your mics, you can reuse some of the shims. However, one shim may cost $7/each. Or you can get the kit for around $75 if you plan on working on other models as well. Keep a good log of the sizes used and measured.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Good idea on using a micrometer. Didn't think about that. I got the bike in April so this will be my first valve adjustment. I have 0 shims to start off with so I figured I'd purchase a shim kit that comes with 3 of each size. Saw one on Ebay for ~$72.

Out of curiosity, do ZX11's typically need lots of shims replaced every time?
The newer, shim under bucket designs, need less frequent changes but that's due to the design. Of course it takes more work/time having to remove the cams. I keep hearing Honda's will need slight adjustments the first time around then typically stay within spec for 50,000 - 100,000 miles.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I like the kit but you still need to keep things organized, and measured. (since I own more than one ninja or kawi). Normally, maybe one or two shims really need swapped out, but at dealer costs, felt like I got raped the first time around. Then again, you are pretty much good to go after that. Most people sell their bikes before the next valve adjustment.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I had to change out 9 shims. Most I had from the ZRX which uses the same shims. Some I swapped around from one vlve to another.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

2 valves (ex side #2 L & R) were within spec. ALL other 14 needed adjusting. Jeeeeees! Now I just have to sync the carbs and button it all up.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

valves adjusted, carbs synch'd, oil changed, new plugs and oil. She's running very smooth now. Feels like new. Total pain in the A$$ but worth it.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats. Piece of mind knowing that things are up to spec. All bolts, oil lines, gaskets, the CCT adjustment are all up to standards. Did you replace the cam guide bolts and CCT bolts with new ones? I found that stock bolts are junk and stretch too much, so I end up replacing them with new bolts.

Quick Reply: valve adjustment time coming soon