Givi stuff - to add or not to add

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Givi stuff - to add or not to add

So it turns out I am extremely happy with my ZX11. it's comfortable enough for my daily commutes as well as weekend excursions. What can I say, awesome old bike that does it all (except going offroad).

Now we come to my dilemma. I really want to get myself that GIVI wingrack, top case, and side cases that lock. Lockable storage space is extremely useful for me, or anybody. The bike is awesome but my little tank bag just doesn't hold all the daily stuff I tote around with me. Here is South Florida it is the rainy season where we get the typical afternoon storms.

Just get it and don't worry about it!!! But... this stuff is not cheap. What if I get it and the motor throws that #3 rod?

As an alternative I've been thinking about (wanting) to maybe sell it and get an R1200GS - always loved that bike also. I'm sure I will eventually get it so should I dump $1200 on stuff for the 12 year old ZX11 or save my money to put towards the eventual purchase of a new GS?

I'm leaning more towards just getting the Givi set only b/c the cases can be used with most any other bike. I would only need to purchase a new mounting kit to fit whatever I end up getting in the future.

Or - the ZX will last me forever, which is what I'm hoping. I'm kind of worried that it will strand me hundreds of miles from home one day. I don't know.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Really depends on how much you like the BMW. Completely different bikes to say the least. How long will the ZX11 last? Hard to say, but I know of quite a few ZRX1100 whch have the same basic motor last well over 100,000 miles. Also, you can find quite a few ZX11's with that milage. I know how your feeling cuz I think the same way I don't know the history of my ZX11, but the more miles I put on the better I feel. So far I have added 1200 miles since I got it last november. The motors that do let go usually do it between 10-and 3000 miles so I am a third of the way there. If your lusting after a GS, I would save up and do that. but if its just "The BMW is Something that might be cool" I would get the hard luggage for the 11 and enjoy.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Ride it, maintain it and get used to it.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I've added 4000 miles on mine since late April when I got it. The BMW issue for me has no "coolness" factor. It's more of a utility/quality thing going on. I've been searching for a great all-around bike that is fun, comfortable, tough, easy to maintain, air-cooled, long suspension travel, shaft-driven, and able to carry a bunch of stuff. The GS just fit the bill and everything I've read about it makes me want one even more. But, I've decided to keep my 11. Getting rid of it so soon isn't smart and makes no sense. I wanted it badly for years, now that I have it I'm looking for my next purchase. Nuts. I've been doing this for 20 years now. I get a bike, ride it for a couple of years max then trade it in. These days I always keep 2 in the garage. 1 for commuting and 1 for playing. I'm ordering my Givi's at the end of July. Should be interesting.

Now what to get first? Top case or side cases?

Old 07-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, for the price of the boxes for the bmw, take a peak at the klx rides

Old 07-10-2009, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a KLX last year. Sold it to get my ZX11. The KLX was a great little ride as long as you stayed offroad. On the asphalt it was just ok. I swapped the knobbies for Kenda K761's which improved its asphalt-ability but still it had trouble keeping up traffic. Just didn't have enough oomph for me.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

BTW I finally ordered the Givi system for my 11. It arrives next Thursday. Can't wait. I got the wingrack, E52 top case and E41 side cases. This should give me boat loads of storage.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

You will, of course, post pictures when your done right?

Old 07-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1..

Old 07-12-2009, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes pics will come next week during the after the installation. Cant wait

Quick Reply: Givi stuff - to add or not to add