Man! Nobody has an 11?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Man! Nobody has an 11?

So I'll be the 2nd to post on this site. I guess the ZX11 was a popular bike before the Internet had a chance to expand.

I recently sold my KLX250s and picked up an old ZX11D. After years of wanting one of these missiles I finally have one. It's old but it runs and looks pretty good too. It's a 97 that ended up on the impound lot for 7 long years. It landed on my lap a few weeks ago with 3905 original miles on the clock. I had my doubts at first but the tires were original and date stamped matching the bikes age. When I replaced the rear tire I noticed the bearings still looked new. No way this bike had any more then 4000 miles on it.

It's all stock and runs great, except for a little stumble off idle. It takes some getting used to but I'm sure once I get around to cracking open the carbs for a thorough cleaning it will clear up and loose that irritating hesitation.

Anyhow, after having the ZX11 for a few weeks I stumbled upon a crap load of articles that mentioned the #3 rod failure and how to avoid it. Now I get paranoid every time I hear something from down there.

It does have a strange noise but only when the engine is cold and on its way to hot. Once warmed up or hot the noise is gone. The sound comes from the left side close to my shifter. It sounds like something is rattling as I release the clutch and give it gas. Like I said the noise completely disappears once the engine is warmed up. Taking off produces no noise aside from the super smooth engine whine and lots of power (after the stumble).

Cause for concern or maybe a loose clutch part?

Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the the ride. How did the oil change and filter look?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Oil was dark but no metal parts or shavings when sitting in my wifes tupperware and held up to the light. Filter was fine also. No chunks of anything to be found.

The noise sounds like something that spins needs tightening. Once it gets hot it expands and fills in the gaps? Dont know yet. At my next oil change i will take things apart to find what all the ruckus is about.

But man do I love this bike!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Name:  this_thread_is_worthless_without-1.gif
Views: 212
Size:  11.7 KB

Old 06-12-2009, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I got's me one too They are a blast. As for the #3 rod, my ZRX, which has the same basic motor as the ZX11, also suffers from this. The problem seems to be when the engine is run on its side. I got my 11 last november and the seller said he never crashed it, just dropped it in the garage. But after taking the fairing off to do an oil change, I saw some scaring on the right side from what appears to be a crash The bearing could go anywhere from 500 miles to 3000 miles. So I'm always listening for weird sounds. Its also a pain to drain both drains when changing oil. But once buttoned up, its a great machine. As for the noise on the left side of yours, I would pull the cover and take a look. Sounds like something loose.

Oh and Deej is right

Old 06-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Like this?

Old 06-12-2009, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

No, like this

Name:  CIMG1877.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  62.1 KB

Old 06-12-2009, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Keeping the ZX warm

Old 06-12-2009, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Very nice Another important thing is to keep the oil level up. That can also cause failure, low oil.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Also I'm looking to add some lockable storage to make it more practical when commuting. Is there currently anything other then Givi stuff - wingracks and such? After pricing out the kit, rack, and luggage I'm looking at $1300+. Any standard racks that fit this bike?

Quick Reply: Man! Nobody has an 11?