Removing evap emissions system - gas tank tubes

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 03:52 AM
Default Removing evap emissions system - gas tank tubes

I want to provide a little insight on how to properly plug the hoses of the gas tank, as both the dealership, and most things I've found online, were incorrect.

Ninja 650R 2011 - California model (most of that emissions crap has been removed now)

-----------

TL;DR - How to correctly plug the gas tank hoses
(numbering of the tubes from left to right)
Hose #1: plug it
Hose #2: run a hose to the bottom/out of the way (it will be venting gas fumes, so plan your route carefully, best bet, route with the overflow hose)
Hose #3: leave this intact, it is a overflow/spill off drain hose

------------

Backstory:
I was traveling across country when I realized my bike was dripping gas. I tracked it to be coming from my evap canister. When I arrived at my destination, I started researching the removal/bypass of the evap emissions.

These are the ways I was told: (numbering of the tubes from left to right)
1) A forum post (possibly on another site) said to hook hose #1 to hose #2, and leave hose #3 (vent to the kickstand) alone.
2) One of the dealerships suggested I plug hose #1 and hose #2, and leave #3 alone
3) Another forum post suggested to plug #1, attach a piece of decently long hose (enough to reach the kickstand area) to #2 and run it along with #3 down to the kickstand as vent/overflow respectively.

What was correct?

Why do you say that??
BEHOLD, A WILD DIAGRAM APPEARS: Ninja 650R fuel tank assembly diagram

This diagram shows that hose #3 is a gas overflow tube, #2 is a vent, that hooks to the side of the gas cap, and #1 appears to be a gas return tube, which was connected to the return of the evap canister.

Further back story:

I started getting terrible gas mileage after removing the evap canister/crap, and have been trying to find out why. I had it hooked up with the 2nd suggestion (dealer), and had both #1 and #2 plugged, which was causing my tank to pressurize, and finally start leaking out of the gas tank seal with a loud squeal sound. If I opened the tank, it makes a loud depressurizing sound.

I was just about to spend $120 on a new gas suspecting the seal was shot or something. I finally found this post: Fuel Evap Cannister Removal/KLEEN Air Mod : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums then found the gas tank diagram and realized they were wrong.

I've removed the plugs and ran a small piece of hose for now from #2. I haven't heard the gas cap squealing/leaking fumes yet. I'll find out more tomorrow.

I hope this information helps someone else.
-phreak

Old 04-02-2017, 04:50 PM
Default nice add'l context

I'm a noob wrencher, and popped into my airbox/filter/plugs on my 09 KLE for the first time. I consulted a bunch of Youtube videos before removing my fuel tank, none of which had the EVAP equipment to content with. I don't live in CA, but obviously my bike is equipped for it anyway. Removed tank, as per, and could not figure out why I had a steady stream of gas coming out of port #2 to deal with. Stopped up the offending nipple with a length of hose, but wound up syphoning as much gas of the tank as possible anyway. Not gonna lie: it was a bit distressing to have to deal with without a heads-up. I've powered through a lot of dumb-*** rookie mechanic scenarios since owning my beloved V, but scrambling around for an improv gerrycan probably provided the most entertainment value for anyone who happened by.