First freeway incident.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: First freeway incident.

So is the end result that you were running out of gas and had to use the reserve or what?

I was not used to the reserve myself and once out on the track on my ZX7 it started to die, I quickly figured it had to be fuel so I fumbled for the valve and she took off again. Glad it was on a straight and not a fast corner.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

I know its not the same as the track.....but the one time that I had to switch my bike to reserve was coming around a corner......I don't recommend it!!

Old 09-21-2006, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I only get about 165 per tank, but I don't hit reserve and at most I'll put in is 3.8 gal. (43mpg). However, I do almost all city driving, freeway riding is almost always stop and go. I engine brake a lot slowing down for lights. All of those things can contribute to less than 50mpg economy. Oh, and I'm usually pretty hard off line, short shift 1st to second, then wind it out 2nd through 6th. When I do get to ride the freeway unencombered by those pesky automobiles, I cruise at about 80mph, also not great for milage.

As for the fueling issue, it may have been vapor lock. I have heard of it happing to other folks, and simply popping open the gas cap and then re-closing it will fix it. I think it is a pretty rare occurance.

When I fill up the tank I don't stick the nozzel all the way into the tank. I only insert it so that the tip of the nozzel is just past the filler neck becuase; 1) I like to be able to see where my fuel level is at and 2) It lets excess vapors escape so the nozzel won't shut off prematurely.

anyway just my $.02

Old 09-22-2006, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: technophile

I only get about 165 per tank, but I don't hit reserve and at most I'll put in is 3.8 gal. (43mpg). However, I do almost all city driving, freeway riding is almost always stop and go. I engine brake a lot slowing down for lights. All of those things can contribute to less than 50mpg economy. Oh, and I'm usually pretty hard off line, short shift 1st to second, then wind it out 2nd through 6th. When I do get to ride the freeway unencombered by those pesky automobiles, I cruise at about 80mph, also not great for milage.

As for the fueling issue, it may have been vapor lock. I have heard of it happing to other folks, and simply popping open the gas cap and then re-closing it will fix it. I think it is a pretty rare occurance.

When I fill up the tank I don't stick the nozzel all the way into the tank. I only insert it so that the tip of the nozzel is just past the filler neck becuase; 1) I like to be able to see where my fuel level is at and 2) It lets excess vapors escape so the nozzel won't shut off prematurely.

anyway just my $.02
Back to my track bike; the vent tub and overflow tubes are plugged on the tank, after a session I open the cap and it sucks in air like crazy. If it was a gravity fed fuel system I believe it would stop the flow of fuel.

The point is if you have a gravity fuel system you may want to check the vent tube and make sure it is not clogged or pinched.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: technophile

anyway just my $.02

Yeah, see, I think thats what happened when I filled up. I put the nozzel all the way in and when it wouldnt allow me to pump anymore, I could see the tank was only half-full (or just a little over).

So do you fill it up till its almost at the brim?

Old 09-23-2006, 12:45 AM

No!!! Do not fill it up to the brim if you have one with the emissions crap on it. I hold the nozzle vacuum tube back with my left hand and put the tip of the nozzle in and fill it to just below the neck of the tube that goes into the tank. Youi don't want to get fuel into the emissions tubing. It will run like junk. Turns your 3.8 gal. tank (CA) into a 3.5 gal. tank or so. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:20 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: allan4169

No!!! Do not fill it up to the brim if you have one with the emissions crap on it. I hold the nozzle vacuum tube back with my left hand and put the tip of the nozzle in and fill it to just below the neck of the tube that goes into the tank. Youi don't want to get fuel into the emissions tubing. It will run like junk. Turns your 3.8 gal. tank (CA) into a 3.5 gal. tank or so. Just my 2 cents worth.

Is this mean that the tank is only 3.8 gal here in Cali??? I saw on the spec sheet that it's 4.8.....???

Old 10-05-2006, 07:55 AM

I have an 06 ex500 with almost 6k on it now and I havent ever had anything like that, guess Im just lucky

Old 10-05-2006, 10:43 PM

i'm glad you came out of it with all your skin!

this is what i'd check:
1)i know the 250's have a vapor lock problem as my sisters has one... you could look into a different type of fuel cap vent. i'm sure there are alternatives
2)you could have a sidestand switch... fairly cheap and a good peace of mind being new
3)being a new bike i doubt there is an electrical short but there very well could be... where it is, is up to you to find but, seeing that you were able to start it up afterwards it is most likely not this option otherwise you would've blown the main fuse (or another one)

most likely: vapor lock
most difficult to diagnose: vapor lock
most intermittent and annoying problem EVER: vapor lock

good luck!

Old 07-04-2016, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Might be worth looking at your fuel lines. My reserve line got rotted out, I replaced it with fuel line, but found out the hard way that just regular old fuel line wouldn't do the trick, it got warm being above the engine, so a bend turned into a kink, turned into having no fuel for reserve basically. Worth looking to make sure you have flow on reserve. After that incident, I replaced it with harder spec gas line, then went out riding with a can of fuel, ran her to reserve, then ran it till it died to see how far I could go on reserve.

MY KLX dies very abruptly when going high speeds if I hit reserve. It's really almost like an electrical shut off. At slow speeds I'll get a little bucking, popping and other warning, but I high speed I think there's such good vacuum pull on the carb that it literally sucks it dry before any symptoms.