shifting without clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Default shifting without clutch?

I have an 07 ninja 250 and was wondering if shifting without the clutch will hurt the transmission. anyone that knows please let me know. thank you

Old 06-27-2008, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: shifting without clutch?

I would imagine that it will over time, not right away, but it will. Why would you want to? the clutch lever is 3" max away from where your left hand is anywayz?

Old 06-27-2008, 02:29 PM

thanks for your input. i was just curious because someone told me you didnt have to use the clutch to shift faster. but i figured it was bad for the bike.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Shifting without the clutch on a synchromesh type (Motorcycle) transmission is absolutely fine. There is a technique to doing it properly, so that you don't make the bike jerk forward with each shift. But once you master it, clutchless shifting works great, and produces less wear on both clutch, and clutch cable.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I always use my clutch lever, but I found this on the 'net....just a sample of opinions, etc. about it.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/gen...-shifting.html

Old 06-29-2008, 06:04 AM
1st Gear Member

its plenty possible and wont hurt anything. Its finding the sweet spot where gears fall together so to speak that can hurt things.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

upshifting with out the clutch doesnt hurt the bike at all as long as you can avoid jerking the bike. it takes alot of practice to get good at it.

Apply slight upwards pressure on the shift lever when you are ready to shift and hold it like that. then give the throttle a little flick forward and back on again. It takes just the slightest amount of movement very quickly to get it right. If done properly, the shifter will "fall" into the next gear. make sure you release the pressure as soon as it shifts, so the shifter can reset itself

When done right, its much faster and doesnt upset the posture of the bike (IE when shifting through a corner) It also helps keep the RPMs in the powerband.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

the keep to clutchless shifting is throttle control. you want the throttle to be possitioned so that the bike is neither under load or breaking so that there is no pressure on the gear teeth and engagement dogs.

in practice this is as simple as a quick small movement of the throttle and a shift and back on the throttle 2/3 of the way through the shifting motion (to match engine speed to the new gear speed) done properly it can be as smooth as a with a clutch or almost as smooth butmuch faster.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

No it won't hurt the transmission. You just have to let off the throttle a bit before you shift and it goes right in. A friend of mine who is an engineer told me that all motorcycle transmissions have dog gears in them. So its just like in my buddies STi which has a dog box. He just lets off the throttle a bit and it goes right into gear with virtually no delay. Of course there is a technique to doing it smoothly as Mark said which I have yet to achieve, although I haven't tried it much either. If it did hurt the trans it would grind every time. Although that being said I can't really see much of a use for it unless your at the strip.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

or you do like i did let the wife ride it in a parkin lot proceed to drop it and snap off clutch lever
had to ride about 6mi with no clutch easy to do except 4 stopping and starting kinda hard to find neutral sometimes and that makes for a jerky stop

Quick Reply: shifting without clutch?