Cold start problems! Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:10 AM
Default Cold start problems! Help

Hi everyone! Im new to this forums and this is my first post. I recently bought a 02 Ninja 250 and it has been running fine the last 2 weeks until recently. I am pretty good warming it up in the morning by turning up the choke for 30 seconds then let it idle for 4 minutes.

Well today as I was riding to school, it started idling REALLY low at the light, around 1K RPM. I revved it up and it seemed like it was having a hard time revving up. Eventually after half a mile, it eventually died out and wouldnt want to start. It still doesnt want to start and I have tried everything from adjusting the idle and choke.

I'm completely new to this and any help with troubleshooting would be appreciated. Thanks

-Ray

Old 09-20-2007, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cold start problems! Help

Welcome.

Check your vacuum connections leading into the fuel petcock valve on the tank from the carburettor. It almost sounds like possibly petcock valve is not allowing gas to flow into the carb float bowls. If the bike was running ok for a while, then suddenly quit, I don't think that would be choke/warm-up related. It's even possible if the choke cable is sticking engaged, you could be flooding out the engine causing your problems.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums.

Have you switched to reserve and still won't start? And at what level is the gas in the tank when you open the top and look inside?

Old 09-20-2007, 05:19 PM

It could be you're low on gas! I'm a newb myself. Bought my bike about a week ago, never even thought about checking gas. The other night he died out on my before I even reached the intersection and wouldn't start. My husband had to jump start and when I confessed I haven't checked gas we looked...and whaddyaknow? I was running on empty. >.< Good luck!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF

Old 09-20-2007, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pyxie

My husband had to jump start and when I confessed I haven't checked gas we looked...
Woa.... First rule of KF, if you're a woman, never talk about your husband or BF!

Old 09-20-2007, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Is it bad to use the throttle to warm up the bike instead of the choke?

I hold the throttle @ 2k and after about 15 seconds holding the throttle open @ the same spot the rpms go up till about 4k.
Is this a bad way to warm up the bike or should I just use the choke?

Old 09-22-2007, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Use the choke

Old 09-22-2007, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

The choke seems to do the same thing though thats why i was wondering. I start it without touching the throttle though but when it start then I give it some gas.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: korax123

Is it bad to use the throttle to warm up the bike instead of the choke?

I hold the throttle @ 2k and after about 15 seconds holding the throttle open @ the same spot the rpms go up till about 4k.
Is this a bad way to warm up the bike or should I just use the choke?
When it isn't quite cold enough for the choke, I will blip my throttle a few times. It seems to get the job done just fine.

Quick Reply: Cold start problems! Help