Bike won't run without choke

Old 08-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Default Bike won't run without choke

Here is my situation. I rode my 2007 ninja 250 about 2 or 3 weeks ago. With all the rain we have received I haven't used it at all. I started it last weekend to let it run for a while and take a short trip out. I started the bike like normal and let it run about 10 or 15 minutes on choke. Here is where the tricky spot comes in.

If I try to turn the choke off, the bike stalls.
If the choke is on low and I try to give it some throttle it stalls.
If the choke is on higher and I try to give it some throttle it rev's.
After letting the bike run for 25 minutes or so on choke, it still will not allow me to turn off the choke, it just stalls.
I am able to ride the bike just as I would normally with the choke on. Everything seems to work correctly. Even after a short 3 or 4 minute ride, I was still not able to turn the choke off without it stalling.

The bike only has about 2600 miles on it.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Old 08-31-2007, 06:15 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bike won't run without choke

Even with 2600 miles, the low speed carb circuit may need cleaned.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you adjusted the idle speed ****? It sounds like you would know about adjusting the idle speed but haven't mentioned it. Are the rubber tubes from the airbox to the carb. seated correctly with the spring around them? Sounds similar to the problem I had when the airbox-to-carb boots weren't seated properly due to a drop [&:]

Old 08-31-2007, 09:27 PM

I purchased the bike used from someone else. I honestly don't know much about bikes at all (just received my license about 2 months ago). I know he did adjust the timing. I have riden about 50 miles or so on it since I got it with no problems till now.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:31 AM

It can bea fewthings tight valves, fouled plugs from letting it idle and not riding itor it sat too long with old gas.

If you dont know if the valves were adjusted before you got it (the first adjustment is at 500 miles) then you need to get it in to be adjusted, they have to be adjusted or it will damage the engine. After the first adjustment at 500mi it should be done every 6000miles. A side note about tight valves, they will keep the engine from idling.

As far as other causes, for some reason if you let a 250 sit for too many weeks the gas gets oldvarnishes real easy and plugs the jets, the idle jet is very small and it doesnt take much to cause problems.

First you start by draining the float bowls on the carbs and draining the tank. If that doesnt sort it out then you have to pull the carbs and clean the jets.

I got burned by this when I first got my bike, it kept snowing so I would let the bike sit. I never rode it enough when I did ride it to burn off a tank so the gas in the tank kept getting older an older. I drained the carbs and tank which made it better but but not great, then I let it sit again which finally plugged the jets in the carbs and I had to pull them and clean them.

It runs great now but I keep stabil in the tank and drain the float bowls if its going to sit more than a week.

If that isnt it you need to pull the plugs see if their fouled and clean or replace them. Also since you dont have a history you should change the oil anyway and make sure it doesnt run low.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

GoodDay Fellows.
Buddy just got a mint 2004 ZZR250. With just over 2500 Kms.
From the posts on this site that I have read. It has the common "cutting out badly between 6k to 10k" problem.
We changed plugs, checked coil connections. And will empty the float bowls next.
What we're after is a look at the schematics for the carbs and the wiring . Anyone have a pdf we can view?
BeWell.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:10 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

congrats with the new ride mmmmdog What did ya find with the fueling issue?

Old 12-07-2018, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Even with 2600 miles, the low speed carb circuit may need cleaned.
Agreed. something has clogged the pilots. If the fuel in the carbs dries out it will leave a residue that can become gummy or flake off when fuel is reintroduced. Clogging those tiny circuits. Usually takes a carb wash machine or ultrasonic cleaner to deal with it. Saw it all the time at the bike shop. Some guys had it happen almost every winter/spring.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

HeyHeyHey!!!
It is fixed, ( The ZZR250 )the boots on the engine side were loose. So sucking air at high revs. We got em tight and OH she flys now!
Seams like this may be a big issue. ( when I see all the simillar poor running posts.)
The boots on the engine side are difficult to get into their grooves but they must be in the groove and have their clamps in place.
Or else air is drawn in at high revs. Choking just ads fuel, so it runs better.

Thanks All.
BeWell, M

Last edited by MMMMAMADDOG; 07-22-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:05 AM

You ever use a wonderful product called marvel mystery oil? I have never once had to clean carbs thanks to that glorious red sauce.