New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Vibration laying into a turn

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy Vibration laying into a turn

All,
I had mike bike sitting in the garage for about 1 1/2 months just did the 20k Maintence new tires ME880's got it out to ride and I now have taht wierd vibration off the tires I think, Maybe bearing not sure. the dealship says that the tires look like the rear is feathering. new to me too. What do I do? I'm having them look at bearing Thursday. Any suggestions?

Yes it's a 2008 Vulcan Nomad, ME880's with about 2100 miles on them the Balancing will be checked tomorrow at the dealership. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Nomadnutz; 10-03-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Double-check your alignment. Rear may be out of spec on the adjustment bolts.
Also, pay attention to tire inflation.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I don't remember what bike you are riding. ME88's are normally cruiser tires. But as mentioned, check tire pressures, alignment and maybe even the tire balance again. A weight may have been tossed at some time. I would also check sags and check the suspension for any signs of leakage. Isn't a 20k mile maintenance require new fluids in the forks?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Thaks for the info I have it checked at the dealership tommorrow. 08 nomad 1600

Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Nomad, empower yourself at the dealer; ask them (for you) to watch how they do the various checks. That is good info for every biker to know.
More to consider: SOMETIMES, tires can change in their "balance" once they get onto a rim. If the tire(s) was/were stored with (for example) a lot of weight on top of them, or stuffed into a rack for months, they can take a few hundred miles to get back to "normal." Sounds goofy, but it's true.
Let us know what you find.....

Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Took it into the dealership and they checked the stering bearings all looks good tire are balanced and they still insist that it the feathering of the rear tire. Was told just keep the air presure up and watch it. Myself if it feels like it getting worse I just replace it. Thanks for all you info!
Nomadnutz!
Ride safe have a great weekend!

Old 10-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey Nomad, take a pic of the rear tire so we can see what you're seeing. I'm not convinced. Any history of this bike being laid-down?

Old 10-08-2012, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

No History of the bike being laid down, I'll get a pic of the tire so you can see what I don't see but what the dealer is saying what they think it is, I rode it in today and didn't notice it maybe it wa just becassue I wasn't riding it for almost 2 months and maybe it was there before and I ws just use to it. But I'll take a pic anyway hopefully will see something or not!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I was going to welcome you but you joined a while back, not sure why you are posting this issue in the new members area but what the heck, welcome.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I found out that the tires are what they call feathering and the wierd feeling I'm getting is from the tires Dealership Said just to keep the tire inflated to the right presuer and they should be ok just check them often. If it bugs me to much I'LL Just replace them. A little costly, they only have 2k mles on them. Still look brand new.

Quick Reply: Vibration laying into a turn