New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

newbie!! thinking of getting a 600cc for first bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: newbie!! thinking of getting a 600cc for first bike

Welcome to the forums! Glad to hear that you are going to take the MSF course! Just remember gear up, ride safe and stay within your riding capabilities! You'll have a blast! Keep us posted on what you get for a bike (oh yeah, we like pictures too!)

Old 08-16-2005, 08:03 PM

gosh, its such a hard decision!! i got people saying get a 250, 400 or maybe 500 but not a 600cc. and if i get a 600cc im pretty much gonna die. and some say if i take the msf, practice with a 600cc in a parking lot for a long time and take it slow, ill be ok. i dont know what to do.--brad

Old 08-16-2005, 08:15 PM

It is a tough decision, big investment, But maybe goto some dealerships and listen to their opinions too, go sit on a few different size bikes. If you goto the dealership, ask them what size bike they would suggest for a newbie that is your size, ask a few dealers that too, and compare. I still personally think that a 600 is a very good starter bike if you physically fit well on it, and most newbies should not go above a 600. Also at the same time the 600 is a bad *** bike that experts can rip on, so the 600 can go either way. But like with all size bikes, there are different kinda of 600's....the supersport 600's like the 636, R6 and Gixer600 are prolly more geared towards a first time street rider who's been on other types of bikes before i.e. dirtbikes, ATV's. I dunno if this helped anymore, but like I said before, no matter what size bike you get, make sure you respect it, or you will go down, no matter how big the bike is.

PS...if you think thats tough, wait till you try to choose a color!!

Old 08-16-2005, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: momonapua2003

gosh, its such a hard decision!! i got people saying get a 250, 400 or maybe 500 but not a 600cc. and if i get a 600cc im pretty much gonna die. and some say if i take the msf, practice with a 600cc in a parking lot for a long time and take it slow, ill be ok. i dont know what to do.--brad
First and foremost take the class. This will give you a better feel for what may be best for you to start on. I think most could start on a 600cc bike and be okay. But they are potent machines and need to be treated as such and they are not the most beginner friendly bikes in the world. Meaning that they are very responsive to thottle and brake inputs, whether those inputs be on purpose or by accident. The reason I recommended used is mainly because of cost. Which will hurt your pocket book more should an accident or minor mishap occur? Which insurance is going to be higher? New will more than likely cost you a lot more in both cases. After you've passed the MSF, parking lot practice is always a good idea to improve your skills and gain more familiarity/confidence in your ride.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:53 PM

I was faced with the same decision a couple of months ago... I would say take the MSF course BEFORE you get your heart set on ANY bike. They usually have a few different styles of bikes, and often after the class the instructor will allow you to try a few on for size after the class (provided you pass of course).

I ended up buying an '05 ZZR600, which is one hell of a machine (other than cosmetic changes, it's the same bike as the '00-02 ZX6R that was winning AMA championships). I'm 6'2", so I wanted to try to find something that I felt comfortable on, and this bike did it for me. I did test-ride anything I could get my hands on at multiple dealers though. How tall are you? If you're vertically challenged, then you will be far better off with a smaller bike, as they often have lower seats, and you'll be able to put your feet down easily.

In the end, it's the thing between your ears that will be in control of the machine. Especially at lower RPM's, the throttle on a 600 isn't so twitchy that you'll accidently loop it (like some of the 1000's), so if you can trust yourself to keep the RPM's low, the 600 is a gentle pussycat. Buying a new bike, and dealing with the break-in period might help force you to play gentle until you get a good feel for the bike. Once you decide to open up the higher RPM's, there is more than enough power to keep you learning forever, but remember, YOU decide whether or not to ride the bike like that. Respect the bike, don't think "well, it's JUST a 600, so I don't have to worry".

Old 08-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 08-17-2005, 04:23 AM

ok guys, im signed up for the msf course in sept. 9th. unless i fall upon a really good deal on a 400 or 600cc. ill probably waited till after the course to buy a bike. should i buy gear before hand? used? brand new? any good beginner brands? guys, just to let u know i really appreciate ur thoughts and years of advise, i dont know what i would do if i never posted on here. --brad

Old 08-17-2005, 04:52 AM

Usually you try to stay away from used gear, its used for a reason. Unless you know where its been. Helmets tho, you should buy new. jackets and gloves are the other must haves for gear. I got A-stars gloves for about 35 and A-stars jacket for about 110(those were both discounted tho), here is the jacket

[IMG]local://upfiles/559/039F15B68241448090EDA501CEFB80AB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-17-2005, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

I agree 100%. If at all possible buy high quality gear. I have always used Joe Rocket. Speed master and blaster is there top line. Be ware they have cheap stuff to. I have a jacket and pants that have been down twice on the freeway and saved my *** both times.
I can't put a price on my skin?

Not to scare you off from gear prices but I am about 1,800.00 all geared up. Well worth it IMO.

Shop around though I am sure you can get well protected for 800.00

Ride safe and have fun. It’s great living on 2 wheels.

BTW if you have questions about gear just post about what your looking at and you will get lots of help from people here to help you.
ORIGINAL: jds636

Usually you try to stay away from used gear, its used for a reason. Unless you know where its been. Helmets tho, you should buy new. jackets and gloves are the other must haves for gear. I got A-stars gloves for about 35 and A-stars jacket for about 110(those were both discounted tho), here is the jacket

[IMG]local://upfiles/559/039F15B68241448090EDA501CEFB80AB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Definately buy a new helmet! All the brands fit different and even within the same manufacturer, each model fits different. Try on lots of them. It took me about a month to find the perfect helmet - but then again I was pretty fussy about color and design! I bought a Rhyno jacket and Icon superduty gloves. I haven't bought pants yet [&:] (I'm still looking!) You will spend quite a bit on gear (I spent $550 Canadian for mine so far)

[IMG]local://upfiles/22/31F344E266BB43F2900A762D44E6A25D.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: newbie!! thinking of getting a 600cc for first bike