New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

newbie!! thinking of getting a 600cc for first bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Default newbie!! thinking of getting a 600cc for first bike

im a newbie on the whole bike thing. i have done alot of reading up on things but i have never riden on. im gonna take the MSF class soon. first question should i take the class first and then get a bike or bike first and then class. 2nd question, is 600cc anything just to hard to first start out on? i have driven a 6 speed cobra for 3 years now, i know how "to get out of first". tons of people have told me go with either 250cc or 400cc. but all i seem to fall upon is 600cc. the 250cc or 400cc are so rare in my area. plus i really like the look of any 600cc. some people have told me to try a honda f2 600. they say an older 600 wont be as bad to start on. what are u opinons on this. would it be a huge regret to get an older 600cc. thanks for ur help--brad

Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: newbie!! thinking of getting a 600cc for first bike

Class first or bike is your choice just sign up and take the class asap. It teaches you the basics. As far as the 600cc goes it's not the bike it's the person. Just take it easy at first and go as you learn.
I learned on a liter bike.
Good luck and ride safe.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. i think it would be best if you take the course first. then get your bike. an older 600 is always a good idea. the older 600 are alittle more forgiving then the newer 600. a good 600 is like a suzuki katana of a honda f4 or f4I. both great bikes. i started out with a suzuki katana 600. used is also a good idea. make sure you ride with the proper gear. helmet, gloves, riding jacket, and riding pants. always gear up and ride safe. oh how could i forget this one. the older zx6. like 99 through 02 great starter bikes. wow sorry guys. always kawi faithful. but you know how it is. helping a newbie out.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Nice one madkaw can't believe I forgot the gear speach.

ALWAYS gear up. There.

Old 08-16-2005, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Were the Katana 600s of the late 90s and 2000s that much of an improvement over the early 90s? Because if I recall - the Katana was the absolute LAST bike you would recommend to someone... unless you wanted them to learn everything wrong. I remember I rode one once.... and I do mean ONCE. What a horrible machine Not bashing, cause I think GSXRs from the same era were pretty slick, but the Katana had all the worst qualities of any bike all put together. Feedback?

Old 08-16-2005, 05:15 AM

well guys, i went to a shop by my house today called fastlane bikes. i sat on about 6 bikes just to get the feel and weight and such. they were mostly 600cc, they didnt have any 250cc or 400cc. i really liked the feel of the gsrx-600 and the cbr 600. but i really would have like a 400cc to compare weight and looks and stuff. i called the local MSF course thing today got alot of info im gonna sign up tomorrow and take it asap. and then if i do pretty good ill probably buy a 600cc. if u guys have any more opionons, thoughts or cautions feel free to let me know. thanks alot---brad

Old 08-16-2005, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

can of tuna (katana)
ORIGINAL: srobak

Were the Katana 600s of the late 90s and 2000s that much of an improvement over the early 90s? Because if I recall - the Katana was the absolute LAST bike you would recommend to someone... unless you wanted them to learn everything wrong. I remember I rode one once.... and I do mean ONCE. What a horrible machine Not bashing, cause I think GSXRs from the same era were pretty slick, but the Katana had all the worst qualities of any bike all put together. Feedback?

Old 08-16-2005, 05:32 AM

I say take the class before getting a bike. As for getting a 600cc as your first I have to agree with the others and say get an older 600cc or just a used bike in general. Insurance will be high for a newer 600cc and as a beginner it is likely you may drop the bike at some point early in your riding career. Get some experience on a bike that is beginner friendly and one that won't cost you an arm and a leg to repair if a mishap occurrs. I suggest either the SV650 or the YZF600R(not the R6) if you insist on getting a 600cc bike. Both are more user friendly than the newer race replicas and yet still are very capable machines. I've owned both.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:08 AM

It really all depends on the rider....my first street bike is the 05 636, but I have ridden dirtbikes since I was 12. The biggest dirtbike I was on was the 250, but then again, I started on a 125 when I was 12, and yes, i couldnt touch the ground, so it made for plenty of dumps, but it was fun.

It all depends on how much you respect your machine, if you are a newbie and gonna go out and try to rip, then you will prolly go down on any size bike. But if you respect the machine and get a feel for it, and can fit on it well, then a 600, in my opinion should be fine

Cheers and enjoy, welcome to the family
JD

Old 08-16-2005, 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: jds636
It all depends on how much you respect your machine, if you are a newbie and gonna go out and try to rip, then you will prolly go down on any size bike. But if you respect the machine and get a feel for it, and can fit on it well, then a 600, in my opinion should be fine

JDS hit it right on the head! Glad to hear that your taking the MSF course, I'm suprised to hear how many bikers haven't taken this course or think that they don't need to. Keep us posted on what you end up getting.

Quick Reply: newbie!! thinking of getting a 600cc for first bike