New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New rider with a KLX250sf - I'm short, need suggestions!

Old 09-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Default New rider with a KLX250sf - I'm short, need suggestions!

Hey all, my name's Jaymi and obviously im new here!
so turned 16 in july and got my first bike! My brother bought this klx250sf new in 2009 and hardly ever rode it its just been sittin in the back the garage and now hes been off at school for the last 2 years so it never moved til my dad re-did the garage and pulled it out and it got me thinkin it'd be cool if i learned to ride it and my brother said he didnt care so Ive just kinda been riding around our yard and stuff teachin myself to ride it. Anyways my dad pretty much "bought" it for me for my 16th birthday in July. I know my dad kinda overpayed him for it but my brother payed like 5k for it and was reluctant to get rid of it since hed lose money and he didnt know if hed get into riding it eventually so my dad just gave him 4k for it. Made me feel bad cause I know from what i saw them sell for on craigslist they dont go for that much. So just made me feel like a spoiled daddysgirl or something. Anyways my dad just made me promise I better get use out of it which I have!

In July when it actually became mine and I started to be able to ride it on the street, it had 700 miles on it. Now already I have 5000 miles on it, if you cant tell i ride it a LOT! We just put new tires on it and had a full service done. I just have WAY too much fun with it. I rode it pretty easy at first then i started watching videos and realizing what a supermoto actually is and I've started to practice riding stairs and doing a bit more offroad but I've already wrecked offroad like 4 times pretty decent and even though I was wearing gear I got pretty banged up. Either way this thing is so much fun. I actually even have to rotate my friends to give rides home to cause they like riding it with me even though it kinda stinks for 2 people.

Thing is my mom keeps sayin we need to car shop for me and I keep putting it off cause i figure why do I need a car when I got my KLX? Rain or shine it takes me everywhere :P

I'm really wanting to try to take a trip on it eventually maybe over my thanksgiving break. If I can get bags for it and also a tent or something I'd love to roadtrip somewhere and camp.

Anyways I need to quit writing a book with this post. My main question though, what other options do i have for lowering my seating position? I'm 4ft 11" tall and 95lbs. We already lowered it 2" and got a seat concepts seat 1" lower and I still struggle. I've gotten used to it for riding, but offroad is tricky. Also for it to not be awkward when puttin the kickstand down or starting off usually I do it while off the bike holding it up then hop on. I've already dropped it a few times doing it cause once it starts to go its too heavy for me to catch lol

Any ideas if I can lower it further or is it probably as good as it's gonna get?
Thanks for any responses!

oh and heres a pic of the bike, this is back in august

Old 09-28-2013, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

You have lowered the bike, lowered the seat....not much more you can do to get the seat much closer to the ground short of finding scooter wheels to put on your KLX.

There's always the non-traditional to experiment with:

I don't have any experience with putting scooter wheels on a KLX, but I'll gladly help with the non-traditional experiment.

Welcome to the forum. There's a wealth of info here.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Fuller_Malarkey
You have lowered the bike, lowered the seat....not much more you can do to get the seat much closer to the ground short of finding scooter wheels to put on your KLX.

There's always the non-traditional to experiment with:

I don't have any experience with putting scooter wheels on a KLX, but I'll gladly help with the non-traditional experiment.

Welcome to the forum. There's a wealth of info here.
lol no thanks! you bein glad to help with that makes me scared enough of you now :P

I figured there wasnt much more i could do. Hopefully i grow some more if I just had a few more inches it wouldnt be so bad lol. just sucks having to start it while on the side then hop on it or to do the kickstand!

Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

You don't mention if the front forks were lowered in the triple trees. You can drop those about 10mm. 10mm = about .40"

At this stage, getting you lower to the ground might involve making gains [or actually losses] in 10mm increments where ever you can. If you can find four places you can drop 10mm each, you'll be 40mm or 1.57 inches closer to the ground. I'll bet you can finagle a total of 2 inches by being creative. And with as many miles as you put on, this is a worthwhile effort, both for safety and comfort. You've put 5K miles on that bike without killing yourself or anyone else. I'd dare say you're in for the long haul. This effort will be appreciated in stability and, with more comfort and confidence in your ability to control your bike, your folks might want to plant a Lo Jack on that bike to keep up with what country their daughter is in.

The stock tires on your bike are 130/70-17 rear and 110/70-17 front. The 130 and the 110 indicate tire width. The second numbers, 70, indicate tire HEIGHT. Consider going to a 130 or 120/60-17 rear and a 110 or 100/60-17 front tire. Another 10mm closer to the ground. Half way there! Is there a possibility the new seat can be further modified for another half, maybe three quarter of an inch of drop? Miraculous things can be done with today's foams. I've had custom seats re-customized until they were functional AND comfortable. It also seems to mark the time I become bored with that ride and it's looking for a new home....

Something else to consider.....the stock rear shock spring on your bike is set up for about a 150 pound rider. An aftermarket shock spring with a lower spring rate will allow the bike to settle more [sag] which I doubt you, as a petite hooligan, are contributing much to. A lighter spring may get you another inch or so closer to the ground, however, the bike will wallow a bit with two-up.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new ride and the motivation to learn.

It does suck having to get off of the bike in order to put the kick stand down. (I had similar issues with my CR480 and the left side kick with it being so tall where you have to lean the bike over just to get on the stupid thing)

You have a great learning bike. Actually, I need to pick up a KLX.

As mentioned above, get the suspension dialed in for you and also the tire option was a good point.

Welcome to KF and enjoy the riding experiences.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fuller_Malarkey
You don't mention if the front forks were lowered in the triple trees. You can drop those about 10mm. 10mm = about .40"

At this stage, getting you lower to the ground might involve making gains [or actually losses] in 10mm increments where ever you can. If you can find four places you can drop 10mm each, you'll be 40mm or 1.57 inches closer to the ground. I'll bet you can finagle a total of 2 inches by being creative. And with as many miles as you put on, this is a worthwhile effort, both for safety and comfort. You've put 5K miles on that bike without killing yourself or anyone else. I'd dare say you're in for the long haul. This effort will be appreciated in stability and, with more comfort and confidence in your ability to control your bike, your folks might want to plant a Lo Jack on that bike to keep up with what country their daughter is in.

The stock tires on your bike are 130/70-17 rear and 110/70-17 front. The 130 and the 110 indicate tire width. The second numbers, 70, indicate tire HEIGHT. Consider going to a 130 or 120/60-17 rear and a 110 or 100/60-17 front tire. Another 10mm closer to the ground. Half way there! Is there a possibility the new seat can be further modified for another half, maybe three quarter of an inch of drop? Miraculous things can be done with today's foams. I've had custom seats re-customized until they were functional AND comfortable. It also seems to mark the time I become bored with that ride and it's looking for a new home....

Something else to consider.....the stock rear shock spring on your bike is set up for about a 150 pound rider. An aftermarket shock spring with a lower spring rate will allow the bike to settle more [sag] which I doubt you, as a petite hooligan, are contributing much to. A lighter spring may get you another inch or so closer to the ground, however, the bike will wallow a bit with two-up.

Thanks for all this! We checked and lowered the forks like you said!
Thank you for the tire recommendation, unfortunately we just put new tires on it so I'll wait till i get through them before I try to get new ones!

and the new seat doesnt rly have any room to be lowered more than it is, i checked and its actually supposed to be 1.5" lower so theres not much seat/foam left lol.

looks like either way i gotta tough it out!
we are lookin into the suspension, im gonna take it into the shop on thursday to have them look at it to get it set up for me )
Congrats on the new ride and the motivation to learn.

It does suck having to get off of the bike in order to put the kick stand down. (I had similar issues with my CR480 and the left side kick with it being so tall where you have to lean the bike over just to get on the stupid thing)

You have a great learning bike. Actually, I need to pick up a KLX.

As mentioned above, get the suspension dialed in for you and also the tire option was a good point.

Welcome to KF and enjoy the riding experiences.
Thanks a bunch, it definitly is annoying but ive gotten pretty good at it tho sometimes im in such a hurry for school in the morning Im prone to trying to hop on it to fast and all and I drop it lol. So shes already gotten a few scratches but oh well there will be plenty more where they came from! I actually right now am taking a break from riding for fun for a few days so ill only be riding it to school because yesterday i was flyin through some 3 feet tall grass blindly and i hit a like 1 feet deep rut and now my hip is bruised darker than night where i hit the ground lol can barely walk. Gear saved me from worse though i suppose ^_^

It def is a great first bike though i dont know if ill ever wanna get rid of it, I dont think i ever want any bike that isnt a supermoto!