New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New rider and even newer to motorcycle forums...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Default New rider and even newer to motorcycle forums...

Coming from a background in Hondas (cars) I decided to search for a forum to come to when I had a problem with my newly acquired KX65. Sadly, the time has come to post... I only rode it once and was amazed at how well the 65cc engine hauled with my 240lbs on its back so I am hell bent on getting this little thing back on the road...err...dirt.

Well, on to the problem that brought me here... I know the difference between 2 and 4 strokes so I made sure to add oil to the gas. The problem, I was using cheap 4 or 6 ounce bottles for every gallon of fuel and I have a feeling that it seized the motor. Another possibility is that it was close to empty when I left the bike at my dad's and a step-brother tried filling it up with straight gas...well...point is that I went to start it and the kick starter was stiff. I put it in gear and grabbed the rear wheel to try to turn the engine over that way also and nothing... Could there be a possibility that something in the kick starter assembly took a dump and that's seizing everything or am I just dreaming?

Bonus question:
Coming from the small Honda crowd you might have an idea of what I'm thinking if the engine took a dump. Is there a larger displacement engine that could bolt up to this chassis with some modifications? I think I could handle a fair amount of issues with the use of the whole line of Makita power tools and a trip to the local high school for access to a MIG.

Many thanks in advance.
- Meech

Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome, Meech. Sorry to hear your faithful little 2-smoker is locked-up. My vote would be the problem of adding gas with no lube. They don't like that very much. I might suggest spraying a bit of penetrant in the spark plug hole, pulling the side cover and trying to turn the little guy by hand (with a wrench) just to see if you are truly locked-up. If it doesn't turn, I'd (make sure it's not in gear; i.e. a drivetrain restriction) probably pull the jug and do a ring job and/or piston job. If it has alot of miles on it, it probably wouldn't hurt anyway. Those 65cc jugs are a breeze to do; should take about two hours, tops. (Hint: inspect the cylinder wall for any scarring. Take a medium Scotch-brite and gently hone the walls.) What I would not do, is "force" the piston to move and put stress on the con-rod and/or everything else, and snap something. If it's not wanting to budge, there's probably a good reason. I speak from experience; having had a Harley Shortster (65cc) as a kid, and doing the jug job. Those little pistons are desk art, believe me.
I would guess a piston and ring job (DIY) should easily run under $200. NOT a hard job if you have basic hand tools.
Check the "lock-up" issue and report back. Glad to have you with us and posting!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums Meech!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:13 PM

I'll take it apart and have a look in there. Im expecting the worst... Hopefully I didn't mess anything up trying to force the starter and wheel...

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome! Much better than the previous experiences I've had on other forums like "when are you boosting it?" "why don't you drop it?" "all that money and you still don't get JDM hellaflush wheels?" :facepalm:

Old 10-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome! Much better than the previous experiences I've had on other forums
Bummer on the experiences already, but you will find the KF family a good group rider community.

As mentioned, turn the engine over by hand after squirting in some lube to see what happens.

Hopefully I didn't mess anything up trying to force the starter and wheel..
If the trans is in neutral, the engine will not turn over of course. But does the wheel turn while in neutral? If it does not, then look at the kickstart return spring, trans gear or bearing seizure or kick ratchet gear not engaging. (As read from my manual).

Old 10-23-2012, 11:50 PM

Actually, the wheel does spin freely in neutral... I guess learning how to rebuild a 2-stroke cant be anything but good. Maybe I'll even see what I can do to the carb to open it up even more. Anyways, thanks for the advice. Next time I post here will probably be after new year's, but, I'll come with pictures and a newly rebuilt KX65.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Right; it should if the trans is in neutral. (Wheel=tire, right?) But does the engine turn over if the transmission is in gear, or if you try to turn the end of the crank after pulling the side cover?