New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New Member and New Rider!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Default New Member and New Rider!!

Hey guys!!! My name is Amy and I just took the MSF course and I got my license!! I just purchased a 2007 Ninja 650R, I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of other experienced riders and I decided that this bike was the one for me. I have yet to ride it because I am in the process of getting tags for it (gotta make it legal first lol.) I am super nervous/scared/excited to get started. I'm hoping these jitters are just because it's my very first time. Anybody got some advice for a first time female rider??

Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome Amy,
You took the first best step in the MSF course. Good for you.

So, other suggestions include finding some trustworthy riding partners that you can ride with, feel safe, and gain experience. Ride at your own pace and don't let others push you beyond your comfort level. Read what you can on techniques and practice, practice, practice. There's some great resources on techniques out there, many on-line. Buy good protective gear and wear it. Ask questions. Be safe and stay alive.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 10-22-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome, Aleigh, to the forums AND to the world of bikes! I won't discuss the relative merits of "best starter bike." It sounds like you've done some homework and made a good choice. I suppose the best advice I can offer, is to (seriously) take your time. Get familiar and comfortable with the "feel," the "sounds," power, braking (coming to a stop on an incline), wet versus dry roads, cold versus warm tires, LEAVES, road grit at country road intersections, crosswinds,....not to mention learning how to be hyper-vigilant for potential hazards. After your rides (as a newer rider) ask yourself what you noticed. (I know that sounds stupid.) Get a handle on all these new sensations you experienced. Ride some more. Repeat. The more you can identify and self-monitor, the more your riding "fund of knowledge" grows. I'll say it again: Take your time.
Welcome, again.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

(Glad you're back, ID...)

Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums Amy, glad to hear you took the class, my wife did too. Glad to have you on board with us, please stay safe and be careful not to ride outside of your experience and comfort level.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:05 AM

Thanks guys for the warm welcome! I plan on getting lots and lots and lots and lots of practice in an empty lot before I venture out into any kind of traffic. It will probably be awhile before I even try to take it out on the highway. I find myself thinking about riding while I'm driving around in my car, like what I would do in certain situations. I always watch other riders when I see them out and about too. I'm a very conservative (for lack of a better word) person and I never do anything that I don't feel comfortable with. I'm ready to take on this challenge and I'm very excited about it!!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF and congrats on the new ride and to the world of riding.

As mentioned above, you are doing great already with knowing when to ask for assistance. Learn gradually, learn from your mistakes, but relax (enjoy!)

Old 10-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Aleigh, one final thought and then I'll shut up. (promise.)
I got thinking last night about what one thing new riders (and older riders who go buy some "attitude" bike and think they're 25 again) get into trouble doing. Corners.
The key word is "smooth." A bike is not a car. Forget the mid-corner hard braking as you approach that stop sign. Try to practice "setting-up" BEFORE the curve. If you must brake "stiffly," do it before the curve when you're upright; not in the middle of it leaned over. If you're still going in just a tick fast, GENTLY and SMOOTHLY trail the brake; no stabbing and jerking, or you'll be on the pavement. Try to "change" as little as possible as you go through the curve. Just forget the "car" mentality; the less you have to correct in the curve, the better.
Smooth, smooth, smooth. Keep us updated.
I'll shut up now.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:16 PM

I don't want you to shut up, JeffZX9, I want you to keep giving me all the advice you can think of lol. I appreciate anything at all that you can tell me. I always thought turns and corners would be alot of trouble for me. I will definitely keep in mind what you said. Thanks!!

Old 10-27-2012, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Aligh2, I love sport bikes. Dragging my knee through the corners, what a rush.
Today, I'm sticking to a 250 supermoto, I'll save the sport bike for the track.
Be safe, and enjoy the road.