Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   New from Knoxville TN (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/new-knoxville-tn-29041/)

Knoxkawi 06-24-2009 03:43 PM

New from Knoxville TN

Deric Kettel referred me to the forums. I have certainly read these forums before, and apparently I joined at some point, because when I tried to create a new account, I was informed that my email was already in use. Anyway, this is probably my first post.

I bought a klx250s back in November 07. I bought it because based upon my research it was the closest thing to a true dirt bike that could be driven on the street, taking into account factors of price, weight, suspension, performance, etc. I can't remember everything about why I didn't go with a Suzuki DRZ400, but I think weight was a reason, and price. The KTMs are too expensive. I wanted a DS bike because I didn't have a pickup at the time.

Overall I am pleased with the bike. It handles 20-40 ft. doubles and tabletops no problem, although it will bottom on jumps off ledges more than about 4 feet. It needs to be pepped up a bit, which should happen sometime this summer. I plan on getting the 330cc aftermarket jug and piston, and possibly bring in a new carb and muffler.

Why, after making a pretty good dirtbike with plates, did Kawi go back to making what is essentially a klr250? Now, with the new Yami and Honda small bore DS bikes, it seems like they are all the same in concept, with a few bells and whistles difference between them. Is the market for a small bore ds bike that has strong offroad performance such a niche that the big 4 can just ignore it?

hoedogg 06-24-2009 06:09 PM

welcome to KF. i was gonna tell ya to watch out for deej he's kinda crazy if you know what i mean..lol you must be one of his three closest freinds:D

hoedogg 06-24-2009 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 20061
:D

jeffzx9 06-24-2009 08:38 PM

Welcome Knox. Don't feel slighted regarding your membership difficulties; they wouldn't let me log in for several months. (..something about associating with wrinkled wrenchers.) ;)
I agree with your dual-sport preference. I enjoy riding in the cooler weather (well, winter months) and there are many moments when a dual would fit the conditions much better than a sport-touring old zx9.
Glad to have you aboard (even if you do know Deej).
Gear up; stay safe.

jeffzx9 06-24-2009 08:44 PM

(Um, Deej, why does your hat say G.E.D.?)

...just kidding. :)

Dragone#19 06-25-2009 01:24 AM

hahaha, ((Um, Deej, why does your hat say G.E.D.?))

Welcome to KF

deej 06-25-2009 02:08 AM

WOW!! Well first of all welcome to the forums, you even spelled my name right.:D Did I steal you away from Thumpertalk? And don't listen to these monkeys, they are just jealous because of my organizational and cleaning skills. :p

And that hat says CED not GED, if you monkeys had a GED you would know that.:p:p:p

CED (Consolidated Electrical Distributors);) But that was a good one. LOL

Odimus 06-25-2009 02:10 AM

Welcome to the KF Family!!!

JRock420 06-29-2009 08:00 PM

welcome to KF!

Tmoe 06-29-2009 08:08 PM

Hey, welcome to KF! I'm just down the road in Chattanooga.