New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Default New to bikes

Hows it going everybody, I'm 23, in the Air Force and I'm completely new to bikes. I'm currently statuined in Germany and we have some very nice roads to ride out here. I've been wanting a bike for years and i've finally decided to get one. I'm selling my 09 Civic EX and already ordered my first bike: 2010 ZX-6R. I should be taking my safety course the first week of April and hoping that New Jersey takes that to get my license. Regardless, I should be fully riding by the end of April. I cant wait. Any tips out there for new riders?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums man! Glad to have you aboard. Just take it slow and ride withinn your skill level, don't show off, and gear up. The Safety course will help you gain the skills that you need, and of course experience will bring that all together.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF! a 600cc demands respect.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF. Get comfy with the new toy and enjoy

Old 03-24-2010, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Why do so many new riders think that a ZX 6R is a good starter bike? And why are so many of them from the millitary? Is it a macho thing?

Cancel your order and do a year on a 250. That way you'll learn to ride instead of just learning to stay alive.

Welcome anyway.

Rob

Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 AM

Oh yes, it's a military thing. Were all macho and pumped up on steroids. We all have a death wish too... Might wanna retract your statement, don't forget who's out there protecting your right to speak freely.

Anyways, if imma spend the money, imma get a bike that I can learn on and still be happy with making payments on for years. I'm not an idiot and I do respect the bike. If I was an idiot, I wouldve started with a liter bike. I know that I can't be hitting turns like experienced riders and fly down the road like those riders. That not why I want the bike.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 PM

If I was in Germany I would get a BMW.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by williamr
Why do so many new riders think that a ZX 6R is a good starter bike? And why are so many of them from the millitary? Is it a macho thing?

Cancel your order and do a year on a 250. That way you'll learn to ride instead of just learning to stay alive.

Welcome anyway.

Rob
Originally Posted by G_Ryder28
Oh yes, it's a military thing. Were all macho and pumped up on steroids. We all have a death wish too... Might wanna retract your statement, don't forget who's out there protecting your right to speak freely.

Anyways, if imma spend the money, imma get a bike that I can learn on and still be happy with making payments on for years. I'm not an idiot and I do respect the bike. If I was an idiot, I wouldve started with a liter bike. I know that I can't be hitting turns like experienced riders and fly down the road like those riders. That not why I want the bike.
Location check...yeah he doesn't live in the US and that's a sweet second post.

He was trying to point out that learning on a bike as unforgiving as ZX-6R is not the ideal situation. Sure it can be done but there's a reason it's not recommended. Good luck with the purchase but I'd ease up on the "I'm defending your freedom" rhetoric.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

#1 Gear up

#2 Respect the machine, the 600 is a race bike pure and simple. You can learn on it if your disciplened enough. Always ride within your limits and do not push those limits untill your ready. When I started I limited my RPMs to 6k to learn and when I finally went above it I was hanging on for my life (and you have 15HP on me) Edit: More like 25 actually...my math aint what it used to be.

#3 Pick your friends and ride with them. There are alot of people on bikes who will get you killed, stay away from them. Real riders have just as much fun but do it safely. If you never hear your friends say "I'm never riding with him again" because of how they ride, then your riding with the wrong crowd. If you stick with some good riders they will only make you better.

#4 Have fun! This should be at the top of the list, but right now staying alive is more important. Dont worry tho, it will soon be #1.

Welcome to KF, get some pics when she shows up!

Old 03-27-2010, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

On the 'protecting our freedom' thing, I've just lost out on a job working with the Brit troops in Afghanistan - I was getting bored driving a desk all day.

Some idiot in HR decided that at nearly 60 I'm too old to live in a tent for 6 months.

I'd advise any member of any millitary to be careful about saying 'I'm not an idiot' when one the world's best known English language oxymorons is 'Millitary Intelligence' lol.

Last thing - new riders on too powerful bikes should never buy a bike that they'll be happy making payments on for years. It's far more likely that they'll spend those years paying off a pile of scrap. Learn on something that you can afford to wreck.

Rob

Quick Reply: New to bikes