New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Was lurking, now a member

Old 09-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Default RE: Was lurking, now a member

can I believe my owners manual which said it was set for a 150lb rider (at least I remember reading that for the rear suspensions settings)? Or is that not likely to be the case. I haven't messed with my factory settings at all, since I'm afraid of screwing things up, and don't have the experience yet to really know what I'd need to change. No doubt someone with experience could ride my bike a block and know exactly how to make it better, but I'm clueless in that regard.

I did look at Road Atlanta for courses, and Kevin Schwantz runs a Suzuki school, but it's $$. Any other options you know of to expand my skillset without breaking the bank...or the bike....or me?? I know the bike has abilities I've not even begun to tap into, and I'd like to...

Old 09-13-2005, 12:12 AM

If you have not had someone set the spring preload (front & rear) with you on the bike then it needs to be done. The manual reference you posted may be for the rear shock spring (IE: spring for a 150 lb rider) but I wouldn't be suprised if that isn't the case. Try asking around and find someone who can help you set up the sag and preload (it shouldn't cost much because it's fairly simple for an experienced person to do) as well as explain how and when to make adjustments. If there isn't anyone near you then we'll have to figure out how to get you the help you need.

I am fortunate to live in a state where we have 4 or 5 track companies providing track services. It usually costs between $160 to $190 a day with a ton of track time. I know that the midwest and east don't have it so good which sucks IMO.

I found this link to NESBA http://www.motorcycleridesinamerica....y_schedule.htm and it looks like they are priced very fair.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:19 PM

AWESOME, thanks!! That would exactly what I need!!

Old 09-14-2005, 04:53 AM

Glad to help out Pete.

If you become a track junkie like me, remember not to blame me.

Good luck and ride safe!

Old 09-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Hey banzi where are you at?

Old 09-14-2005, 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Banzai

Glad to help out Pete.

If you become a track junkie like me, remember not to blame me.

Good luck and ride safe!
HUH?? It's the American way to blame someone else for your addictions!! Best part is they offer a free trial half-day (morning class, 2 15-20 minute sessions on the track) to see if you like it....Next day at Road Atlanta is Nov 19, by which time I should have gotten enough saved for a new front tire, and the guy who lives across the street is a former rider with all the gear (he was a cop who got hurt on duty and hasn't fully recovered yet)....sounds like trouble ahead....

Old 09-14-2005, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Notstock

Hey banzi where are you at?

If you are asking where I live, I'm in Redding, up in sunny northern California.

Pete, make sure you get your suspension set up properly for your track day. Sometimes there is someone there who will help out, it's worth it to check into it. Have fun and give us a report.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

thats great, another fellow member in california.. woo hoo......... i live in Marin which is 20 moiles north of san francisco...

Old 09-14-2005, 11:58 PM

Pete, make sure you get your suspension set up properly for your track day. Sometimes there is someone there who will help out, it's worth it to check into it. Have fun and give us a report.

I will...now I just gotta get the scratch to get the front tire replaced....but it's gonna be FUN!!!!

Old 09-15-2005, 02:16 AM

ORIGINAL: MAD KAW

thats great, another fellow member in california.. woo hoo......... i live in Marin which is 20 moiles north of san francisco...

I know exactly where Marin is, very nice area. When I lived in Monterey I used to go through Marin on my way to Sears Point Raceway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Was lurking, now a member