New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Just got my own bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Default Just got my own bike

Just wanted to say a quick hello. Picked up my new 06 Kawi 250 last nite, but by the time we got home it was to late to take it out. Hopefully I'll get to today. I'm a new rider, so my husband got the first ride. Can hardly wait for him to get home from work today and start teaching me how to ride. I've waited 2 years for my own bike so I guess I can wait 1 more day. Hmmm... maybe I wont wait. LOL I've rode dirt bikes, but this is my first street bike, unless you count the hours I've spent on the back of his. Any suggestions for a new rider?

Anyway.... I got the blue one and I totally love it!!! I wanted black but couldnt find one. The blue goes well with his R1 tho... I'll try to get some pics up later today.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Just got my own bike

Welcome to the forums 250gurlee. I also have the 250 '06 in blue. That's great that you've ridden dirt bikes before but if I may add my humble advice, take the MSF course if you haven't yet. I say this because in my class there was a lady who had ridden on the back of her husband's ride for the longest and wanted to learn how to ride herself. Her husband started teaching her and shall we say he was a tyrant when it came to teaching, hehe. So at MSF she felt no pressure to learn and she learned at her own pace. That's just my 2 cents on that subject.

On the subject of gear, definitely the whole nine yards, helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots. I took the class 4 months ago and only got my ride 2 weeks ago but with my "armor" on I ride more confidently that I did with just jeans (not to say I ride like a maniac but it makes a difference as far as peace of mind goes).

Post pics of your ride. I am glad to see another 250 rider on here.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the advice... I'm already looking into the MSF course, so I'll be taking that as soon as I can. I've been riding with my husband for a few years and I know he rides well and has some good advice, but he really wants me to take the course too. I picked up a great jacket at last years MotoGP races at Laguna Seca and I have my helmet. Now I just need to get the rest. My jacket is baby blue and black so it goes nicely with the bike. I've been checking out bikes for about 2 years and this is the one I've always come back to. I'm only 5'3 so I like the fact that I can reach the ground on both sides. Every other bike I've looked at, I could get one foot on the ground and the other was still about a foot away. Im so excited to have finally gotten my own ride. And I have plenty of time to learn before the trip to Laguna this summer.

Thanks again!!

Old 03-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum.... glad to see another member from the west side...... there's a few of us here. i live in nor cal, 20 minutes north of san francisco.... congrats on the new bike.... glad to see you went with the 250..... it's always good to start out small... it looks like your headed towards the right dirrection as far as gear and training is concerned..... just remember to take it slow and to gear up and ride safe..... and post some pics when you have a chance..... what the biggest city next to you?

Old 03-16-2006, 06:21 PM

I'm about 45 miles from Bakersfield.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

nice..... not too far from me..... lol lol lol about 3 hrs drive..... well, welcome to the forum again.... make yourself at home, we have alot of great people here.... enjoy your stay....

Old 03-16-2006, 08:07 PM

[IMG]local://upfiles/1568/FAAEE7F0332B42378721C4FE7A04381C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-16-2006, 08:11 PM

one more

[IMG]local://upfiles/1568/D348B978045B40D2B3F0364B9E28585D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-16-2006, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

nice pic.... gotta love the blue.....

Old 03-16-2006, 08:27 PM

Congrats !!! You'll love this bike. Advice? GEAR GEAR GEAR!!! Always wear it !!! I have the same problem....short! And I also fit perfectly on this bike. You may get a little annoyed with the power on the "break in" period but .don't worry you'll feel a huge difference after about 200-300 mi. Good luck and enjoy!!!

Quick Reply: Just got my own bike