New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

help

Old 04-20-2009, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default help

hi, my name is matt and i bought a 1995 ZX6R. when i bought it it started fine and now it turns over and over and then fires. i turn the fuel off and on when i get off and on. yesterday i was ridding it at 70 mph and it started to lose power and then it died. so it tryed to start it and it acted like it was flooded. but then it started and i made it bout 2.5 miles and it did the same thing. after bout the 3 time the battery weas dead and i had to pop the cluch to get it started. then it tried to do it to me agian so i down shifted and reved and then up shifted and it was back to normal agian. what would cause this? ps. i changed the spark pulgs and oil before i rode. thanks matt

Old 04-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Matt, welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your ZX6 (but God bless carburetors!!)
Fuel, air, and spark. The easiest is fuel; start there. Make sure you have fresh fuel in the right places! Drain the tank, drain the carbs (yes; all of 'em) and clean the fuel line. Put in fresh. Does the bike bog and die even when sitting still in neutral? Choke is off, correct? Bad gas will cause you to pop and sputter. Is the tank vent hole clear? Checked your plugs (color) and exhaust smell?
If fuel is OK, next is spark. Double-check your wires (maybe get a new set of plug wires? Those OE's are getting some age.) You haven't mentioned lights dimming, or the "bad alternator" bog symptoms. Checking the plugs will also tell you if you have a "dead" cylinder (but again; you haven't given me that feeling.) You might shop for a replacement black box (ignitor). There should be a few around for a bike that vintage. Check the voltage to/from battery, and darn near everywhere to see if something is shorting (but I don't think THAT's it, either.) Might put in fresh plugs while you're there.
Air. Filter clean? All hoses and fittings as they should be? (No rags in the stacks left from that last valve cover gasket job?) No potatoes in the exhaust?
It's just a process of elimination. Try some of these suggestions and let us know if any work. Welcome aboard; we can help.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

ok tonight i was going to go get some of the fuel cleaner. The bike does not die when setting in netural and how do you drain the carbs? the battery and the alternator work great. b/c i started it this moring and it ran fine you know the usual cold moring running. Air filter is clean. i cleaned it when i painted teh tank. ill start by the fuel line and the fuel filter il check the spark plugs which i aslo replaced and get new wires

Old 04-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Air filter is clean. i cleaned it when i painted teh tank. ill start by the fuel line and the fuel filter il check the spark plugs which i aslo replaced and get new wires
Yup as mentioned backtrack. New paint or debris, pinched lines etc

edit: Welcome to KF!

Last edited by Dragone#19; 04-21-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

it had to be the gas b/c i had a half a tank and i drove like 70 miles and then filled up with new gas

Old 04-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF

Old 04-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Matt, welcome to the forums. Listen to these guys....some of them actually know what they are talking about.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

ok i changed the fuel and it still does it. so i rerouted the fuel line and went straight to the carbs "like told by a guy at work" it started the first time and every time for like 20 times and it ran for a couple of mins and then it died. so then i hooked it back up normal and it will fire but wont run would it maby be the fuel pump? or a loose wire somewhere?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Um, don't think the '95s came with a fuel pump option, Matt.
Let me think on this....

Old 04-25-2009, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

yes it has a fuel pump and how full is the inline fuel filter supposto be i re wired the fuel pump and theni put it back and it starts after i push the button like normal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help