New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello from Johannesburg

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Default Hello from Johannesburg

Greetings from South Africa!

I just purchased a 2006 ER6n yesterday so I guess that makes me a noob in this fraternity. I needed the bike because my new job is quite a commute and I refuse to sit in traffic anymore.

Of course, my wife isn't too happy. In her mind buying a bike is basically signing your own death warrant. However I believe that if you ride cautiously as if everyone on the road is out to kill you, you'll be fine . I realise that most bikers fall at some point or another so I'm getting all the protective gear to make sure that in that more than unlikely event I'll be padded, etc.

Any advice for a first time rider?

I'm not a speed junky. My plan is to ride around the neighborhood in off-peak hours at first to get a feel until I am confident enough to tackle traffic. I am also going to head out to some track days that include training courses on how to ride properly. I must admit I'm a little nervous at this point because, while I've ridden bikes at a few points in my life, I've never been a full time rider. I figure if I take it slow I'll eventually get to the point where I can navigate the road confidently.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all and talking a bit of shop.

Cheers!

Greg

Old 09-10-2014, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF, Greg. Let's see some pics of the new bike.

Did you see this in the New Members area? Good read.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-riders-32236/

Old 09-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Hi IDIRDR. Unfortunately I don't pick the bike up 'til Saturday but suffice it to say for now that it looks exactly like this one:

The only difference is that mine has an Arrow exhaust system and a top box because it's going to be used as a commuter. I'll post some pics when I get it.

Cheers

Old 09-10-2014, 02:30 PM

And thanks for the link. I see that 600cc bikes and up are not recommended. Mine's a 650. I did a lot of research before I bought and this bike was recommended for all rider types, including beginners. The price was good, so I jumped on it. It was owned by an older guy (one owner, I think) and was kept in absolutely mint condition. I wanted a naked, streetfighter bike that was small enough to maneuver and quick enough to get out of trouble if I need to. Plus I wanted something to grow into.

The post in the link now has me second guessing. Did I make the right decision? I hope not because I just threw down some good cash for it!

Cheers

Greg

Old 09-10-2014, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Many opinions out there. Are you mature enough to ride safely? Have you taken, or will you take, safety courses? Do you have any friends who ride safely and who can give you pointers? Get good gear and training. If the bike is too much for you, admit it to yourself and don't force it. Keep in touch here and let us know how its going.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:24 PM

I have asked myself all those questions en route to this decision and, as a father and 35 year old guy who's been through a fair amount of hard knocks I would have to say yes, I am mature enough.

Like I said I am planning on going to some track days that happen monthly at a local track to take some courses. I have family friends who ride and they are going to take me along. My buddy's dad has been riding for decades (he's got four bikes) and he's one of the most responsible guys I know. So I think they will be good to latch onto in order to learn and be wise.

In terms of gear, I purchased my helmet, jacket and gloves today. I got a Vega Stealth F117 full face helmet, a pair of Alpinestars gloves and a padded Nova textile racing jacket. Didn't quite have the money for riding boots yet but I've got some sturdy work boots I can use for now. So I'm kitted as best I can at the present time, I think.

Interesting what you say about admitting to myself if it's too much for me. I obviously don't want to be scared and put in danger on a daily basis so I have committed to myself (and my wife, heh heh) that I will give it up and sell the bike if it becomes to hairy. But obviously I don't want that to happen. I really think I can do this responsibly.

So yeah, my plan is to start riding casually during off-peak hours to get a feel for it and slowly build myself up from there, hopefully riding with my more experienced friends. Everyone can be so negative, talking about dying on the road all the time. Sometimes I feel like they're going to WILL me into that position. Why can't people be positive?

Anyhoo. That's it for now. I'm picking it up on Saturday and will post some pics of her.

Cheers

Greg

Last edited by gregbester; 09-10-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gregbester
Everyone can be so negative, talking about dying on the road all the time. Sometimes I feel like they're going to WILL me into that position. Why can't people be positive?
Sounds like you have a good plan and will do well. I'm impressed. Not some 18 year old kid looking for a thrill.

When the girlfriend and I got together about 2.5 years ago, she wanted to learn to ride. We got her into a class, geared up, and I practiced a lot with her. She loved it and was ready to buy her own bike.

Since those two summers ago, her mother has guilted her so much that she hasn't got behind the bars since last summer. She will passenger with me, but her mom put such a damper on her excitement to ride that she lost confidence in herself. Her mom's happy. She's sad. Why do people do that?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 PM

Yeah, it's a bummer man. People focus on their fears too much. I'm more of a tackle it as it comes kinda guy but every single person I talk to is a doomsayer. Meanwhile, my buddy's dad has been riding for 50 years and never had a serious accident. Knock on wood, for his sake.

I do believe you can be responsible and alert on a bike to the point of thinking about your own riding and the driving of other motorists, which I believe you have to do.

Cheers

Greg

Old 09-13-2014, 06:24 AM

Today's the day! In a few hours I'll post some pics of her.

Cheers

Greg

Old 09-13-2014, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm guessing the excitement is nearly unbearable!

Quick Reply: Hello from Johannesburg