New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Good Morning! New guy...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Default Good Morning! New guy...

Good morning! New guy here. I rode dirt bike all around the farm a long time ago, back when I was a kid. (A Long Time Ago) Well long story short. I've been out of work for the past 18 weeks. FINALLY, got a job that is 50 miles away. Riding a motorcycle would definately save gas, and the more I thought about it the better the idea sounded and all the fun I had as a kid came back. I'm thinking Vulcan 500 or KLR650 Dual Sport. I'm kinda leaning toward the Dual Sport so I relive some childhood. Thanks for listening. Any suggestions?

Old 07-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF.

Not sure on the riding that you mainly want to do. Are those your final two choices? Good luck

Old 07-26-2009, 07:33 PM

It would mostly be for commuting back and forth to work. 104 miles round trip.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Logan, welcome. If you're staying mostly on the road (commuting), you might want to consider something in the 750 class; I'd say a standard, a ZX, or a heavier Vulcan. Commuting can wear you down on a lighter, less powerful bike. I'd also suggest something with enough grunt to get you out of any hazardous situation in a hurry, because it happens, despite your best prevention. Commuting is enjoyable on a bike, but easy to drop your "guard" the more miles you travel. Go for it, and keep us up to date on the bike you get!
Again, welcome; gear up and stay safe.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Hard choice. As a new rider you'd be far better off on a 250 - you'd learn more, learn it better and learn it faster - and a 250 will easily cope with a 50 mile each way commute, but I could understand you wanting something a bit bigger and more relaxed.

Having the power to gun you out of a hazardous situation is a good way to wreck until you've got the skill and traffic experience to know when it's appropriate. A slower bike and learning how to anticipate is not only safer, but will make you a better rider.

I'd think about an ER5 - what I think is called a Ninja 500 in the States. It's got an ideal riding position for commuting, enough power, reasonable handling and it's docile enough not to get you in too much trouble. Fit a decent screen, and think about a fairing if it rains a lot in your area

Rob

Old 07-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, get the KLR, I rode one a couple of years ago, and the seat was awesome. Plus bonus you will be able to explore some fire roads and mild trails with it after work. GIT-R-DONE!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF

Old 07-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Not a new rider, if he's ridden a dirt bike as a kid. Yes.....been a few years, and probably rusty on skills. (And, the highway is considerably different than dirt; not necessarily more dangerous if he was a kid like me.)
I'd still want some weight and power after the first week on a 500, IMHO.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:01 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

and the EX 5's are going for cheap. Tune up the suspension, get all comfy, there is some power there to get you a ticket and to out manuever traffic. I will try and get mine ready for the track this week. Good luck again

Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
I'd still want some weight and power after the first week on a 500, IMHO.
Weight's a personal taste thing. I ride an ER-6 (Ninja650).

It's got as much power as I can use on the road (and keep my licence) and has no trouble staying with SS bikes up to a bit over 100 mph, but I ride a lot in congested traffic where agility is more important. It makes it more fun on the twisties as well, so although the 6f isn't particularly heavy at 400 lbs dry, I'd love to drop about 150 of those lbs.

And I do use the bike for a lot of long highway trips - usually about 300 miles, but sometimes double that. Light weight doesn't mean instability - just less effort.

Rob

Quick Reply: Good Morning! New guy...