New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Carb Troubleshooter Required...plz

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Smile Carb Troubleshooter Required...plz

Hi, can somebody please advise me on this annoying problem I have...

Bike is a 2000 ZX9r (E1)

Symptoms are...
Rough idle,
Smooth-ish accelleration but jerky when throttle is stopped at the bike speed or when deccellerating (over_run),..... it jerks the bike back and forward like an knackered old chain slaps when rear wheel is off the ground and engine is driving the wheel

My Guess at possible faults + concidering factors..

Wrong jets for the Can? (I ask because the bikes paperwork had Dyno printout, which said on it K&N filter (which it has) and also "Hindle Carbon Can" (But it only has a standard factory fitted can on it !!
Carbs are unbalanced (could it be that simple)
Ignition timing?
Fuel/air mix?
I can't think of anything else, the Plugs look fine but exhaust smells like its running a bit rich !

Thanks for listening, and for any replies given

Last edited by CrustyBiker; 02-08-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:25 AM

Have you taken it apart yet to see if its something simple? Maybe bad sticky float or the jets are clogged?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, you might want to post in the bike specific area.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Bad gas or water in gas. How long has it been in your tank? The older 9's and 7's were really vented well. The down side is that fuel would lose its oxygen and turn the bike into a bucking bronco (at least that's what it feels like!!) It WILL foul your plugs, because it's burning the "varnish" instead of what it should be burning. If your gas begins to smell real funky (no; not THAT gas...) it's a dead giveaway. Get rid of it before it causes problems.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Carbs are unbalanced (could it be that simple)
That has caused me a misfortunate fall over once. I forgot to synch the carbs accurately. But normally it is gunk in the system that will cause you havoc. Good luck and welcome to KF.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to Kawasaki Forums

Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Hi all, thanks for the good advice...

Joel - Have not done yet, taking apart such an important part scares me, lol! but will try it and have a look, I have a manual which describes the proccess, cheers!
Deej -thanks for welcome, and sorry just getting used to site still, thanks for the tip.
Jeffzx9 - Pretty sure fuel is fine, I have used a few tankfulls and refilled quite a lot, and I have not let it go so low it runs out, thanks for answer, I will remember for future instances though, thanks Jeff.
Dragone#19 - So I guess unbalanced Carbs can make and engine run very rough then, this is the single problem which I hope is causing the problem, mainly because it can be done without carb dissmantle... but then again you say it may be gunk so I'd better inspect it first, cheers for the welcome.
95451 - thanks for the welcome, will start getting used to this site soon, and maybe post some bike piccys and learn how to post my posts in the right area , lol!