New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Almost got my bike...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Almost got my bike...

Hey guys - I'm workin with someone to buy a 500R and the deal should be closed hopefully by middle next month. I have a few questions as I am a beginner. I've ridden before but not for a long long time and nothing as big as this. How do you know when u need to switch gears? I haven't operated a clutch in ages it seems like. I know the general principles but I am afraid of stalling out or doing something retarded. For example: Neutral, one shift down is first gear...so after first do I shift twice really quickly to get into 2nd (thus bypassing neutral) - or is my memory horrible? And the positive neutral finder? How exactly does that work? What is good, cheaper safety gear to start? This motorcycle market is HUGE and I am a lost kid in the mall...any help and tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm as excited as you can get for this!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Almost got my bike...

First off practice, practice practice. Take the MSF course. When you first start riding, shift when the bike is ready. By this I mean, so it won't stall. Shift too soon it could stall. It takes time but will come naturally before you know it. Neutral. When you shift down to first, then speed up and are ready to shift to second, just give it a full shift. To get neutral give it a half shift. The positive neutral finder allows you to find neutral when you are slowing down to stop. Get a helmet, a jacket and gloves. boots are good idea too. But anything with a high top for your ankles is recommended. Most of all, have fun

Old 05-29-2007, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

congrats on buying the bike. You'll know when it's time to shift gears you'll hear the engine reving higher and then just pull in the clutch and pull up once and then your in second. And so on an so on. The gear is recomended for riding. I would wear a good helmet like an hjc or kbc there a nice helmet for the price. and a jacket and gloves and a sturdy pair of boots are highly recomended. If it's been a while since you have road you might want to take the saftey course to refresh your memory on how to ride right and safe. Hope i helped you out and have fun with the bike.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:59 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums and congrats in asking questions.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh nice - Looks like I'll be toolin around in some areas that have no real traffic to start and to get comfortable shifting, speeding up and slowing down to a stop. I'll take a picture of me and my bike when the deal closes to "officialize" myself as a member of the Kawasaki family. Keep the tips comin!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

hi

Old 05-30-2007, 06:21 AM

Get to know your bike, learn what it's capable of. Also don't think that traffic is going to do things, You have to act on your own.

Lead follow or get out of the way

Old 06-03-2007, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Seriously guys and gals...I'm in medical school and I cannot concentrate on my last finals because I am getting so anxious about closing the deal on my bike. The seller is great and they are putting the final touches on it - getting it tuned up, and replacing what needs to be replaced etc...Oh man. Get ready! Hope I don't fail out because of this haha. This future doc is gonna be a doc on 2 wheels!

Old 06-03-2007, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

TAKE THE MSF COURSE .Get the best gear you can . There are some good deals online for quality gear , you just have to do some research .

Old 06-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

TAKE THE MSF COURSE .Get the best gear you can .
+1 to that! otherwise we may end up with a Doc in ICU!

Quick Reply: Almost got my bike...