Zero confidence in my front end grip

Old 07-15-2018, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Zero confidence in my front end grip

i have a 2006 KLX 250s with Dunlop D606 tires on it (14-16psi). i feel like i have no confidence in turns with my front end on the dirt, the tire always feels like it is washing out on me. i am a new dirtbike rider, but i have been MTB racing for 20+ years so i know the feeling of riding on 2 wheels. is it my tire? Tire pressure? Bike setup? Normal?

Old 07-15-2018, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

12 psi front, 8 psi rear.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I see tubliss in your future.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Pirelli scorpion mxmh, shinko 216mx, kenda k772 dot front tires worth looking at/read reviews. Suspension balance (increase preload rear shock spring/raise forks in the clamps) , altering tire pressures, seating position, fork oil level can help also

Old 07-15-2018, 06:54 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

May not be enough info to give you a solid solution. You didn't mention how you corner your KLX, and by that I mean how do you position yourself and use body English. I'm a semi-serious MTB'er also, and I have to say that the front tire traction and the riding techniques vary a little between MTB and dirt motor. Dirt motors usually need much more input from the rider to lean forward on the front end to yield better traction in turns. You have a motor trying to push the bike in a straight line via the rear tire, so body English on the rider's part toward the front tire is more critical. I'm not saying there's no similarity between MTB's and dirt motors...just that there are subtle differences.

You didn't mention how your suspension is set up for your weight. This too can be a big factor that affects handling overall and in the corners. The 606 tire is pretty good. Not the best IMO but not one that should hinder decent cornering.

There are several factors that can affect cornering. These are just a couple.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I forgot to mention, I've got my forks raised 10mm in the triple clamps, you may want to try that. Get that inside foot out there by the front tire too...

Old 07-16-2018, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by addictedtogum
i have a 2006 KLX 250s with Dunlop D606 tires on it (14-16psi). i feel like i have no confidence in turns with my front end on the dirt, the tire always feels like it is washing out on me. i am a new dirtbike rider, but i have been MTB racing for 20+ years so i know the feeling of riding on 2 wheels. is it my tire? Tire pressure? Bike setup? Normal?
just my two cents. i'd say its weight bias more than anything. the bike weighs exponentially more than a bicycle, so to influence it takes quite a bit more of your body weight.

its best to apply that forward weight bias without any additional input on the bars, so the bike is in control, and can make natural corrections, otherwise you might start to fight with bumps in corners and make things worse. it's all a balance of course, and you might have to

entering the corner at the correct speed so you can apply neutral throttle until you're past the worst of it is also a massive boost for front end traction, as soon as you touch the throttle, you're throwing your intended weight bias out the window... if you need to slow inside a corner, consider keeping the throttle constant and run the rear brake a bit.

a really good practice scenario for front end traction and weight bias is high speed on gravel roads. you can really feel the front end wash, and if you throw weight through your arms, it makes things much worse, but if you just relax and scoot forward on the seat until it hooks up again, you're fine. i ride a lot of gravel roads now, and my front end traction in the dirt has improved a lot because of it

also keep in mind that lots of surfaces will give you the feeling that your front end is sliding, but it's far from it. wear some good gear and push it to the limit a bit, see how much of it is in your head, i don't think you'll fall over.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Watch a flat tracker or motocrosser cornering... up on the seat at the gas tank. In fact motocross bike seats have gotten to the point where they are at the gas cap which is at the very front of the tank, to allow riders to slide WAY forward. I agree with everyone - slide up to the front of the seat and see how it feels. I tend to sit full forward and actually have to make the effort to slide back when riding off road and wan to reduce spinning and when on road and going up a washboard hillside gravel road.

By the way, don't confuse high speed on dirt/gravel with what high speed would be on pavement. 30 mph is high speed when playing on dirt/gravel in corners. I agree with rfvsu - go find some off road place where the dirt won't be quite as hard and any gravel not quite so pointy as lime stone. I will tell you playing in soft dirt or even some near mud conditions gives you the opportunity to really lean how to feel the front end. Plus the off road is much more forgiving if you fall.