Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   X-ring chain failing (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/x-ring-chain-failing-42508/)

Broussard 10-28-2014 01:51 PM

X-ring chain failing

I've got maybe 800 miles on a new chain - 'Factory Spec 520 X-Ring Chain'.

Using PJ1 lube, the o-ring specific version.

When lubing the chain the other day, I noticed that many of the x-rings are breaking and coming out of the chain. Any idea what is up with that? Is this just a crappy chain? Is PJ1 crappy lube? Anything else I should check or consider?

It's an SF, 90% pavement 10% light gravel roads.

Cheers!

TNC 10-28-2014 01:54 PM

Certainly not normal for quality "O" or "X" ring chains. What is meant by the term "factory spec"? Is that the brand or what?

Broussard 10-28-2014 02:01 PM

Brand name.

https://www.denniskirk.com/110573106.sku

I'm going to put a new chain on, but would like to establish if this thing just sucked or if I'm messing something up somehow. I'm not sure how you mess up wiping it down, spraying on lube and adjusting properly, but hey....

IDRIDR 10-28-2014 02:38 PM

Checking on proper adjustment...you may have done all this but just in case:
1) Check proper tension by compressing suspension until rear axle and swingarm pivot are in alignment with front sprocket. Removing the rear shock may make this job easier. I can usually use several ratchet straps on the KLX to bind it down. This is the point where the chain will be tightest. Spin the rear wheel around multiple times to check for tightness. Sprockets aren't always perfectly round. The chain should always have some slack at this point, and never tight.
2) Check alignment by measuring distance from rear axle to swingarm pivot points.
3) The front and rear sprockets should also be aligned. I'm not sure how to do this one other than some kind of straight edge with chain off. I haven't worried about this but do look at the chain for odd wear.

Did I miss anything?

TNC 10-29-2014 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Broussard (Post 515649)
Brand name.

https://www.denniskirk.com/110573106.sku

I'm going to put a new chain on, but would like to establish if this thing just sucked or if I'm messing something up somehow. I'm not sure how you mess up wiping it down, spraying on lube and adjusting properly, but hey....

Broussard, I'd be su****ious of an in-house chain that has to title their chain "Factory Spec". That ought to be a given.:D

But seriously, I've tried a lot of cheaper chains over the years, and except for a very few lucky examples, I think it's best to stay with an established name brand chain at a decently high level of quality. The chain not only lasts longer but so do the sprockets.

Broussard 10-29-2014 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by TNC (Post 515671)
Broussard, I'd be su****ious of an in-house chain that has to title their chain "Factory Spec". That ought to be a given.:D

Yeah, but I'm not up on what's good and what isn't - I'm a mountain biker! Anyway, I found a couple reports on the internet about these things flinging o-rings, so I guess I picked a bad one.

I just ordered an 'RK Racing Chain'. That must be a good one, right? It says 'Racing' right on the box... :rolleyes:

TNC 10-29-2014 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Broussard (Post 515699)
Yeah, but I'm not up on what's good and what isn't - I'm a mountain biker! Anyway, I found a couple reports on the internet about these things flinging o-rings, so I guess I picked a bad one.

I just ordered an 'RK Racing Chain'. That must be a good one, right? It says 'Racing' right on the box... :rolleyes:

I'm a mountainbiker too. Maybe a good comparison is Shimano and SRAM chains to a low end KMC. I can understand the hesitancy of buying a high dollar chain since it seems like such a consumable item, but in this case you probably really get what you pay for. I've had only two chains since 2009 on my KLX, and that first one was replaced this year. It's amazing at how few chain adjustments are required on a quality chain for the duration of its life.

Highbeam 10-29-2014 02:48 PM

I would expect a "factory spec" chain to be the lowest quality chain available from that manufacturer, as in, their other stuff is better so it should cost more.

To most of us in the real world, we know that the factory stuff is usually superior to aftermarket. So it is a confusing way to label their product.

Angier 10-30-2014 06:59 AM

Sold by major suppliers, Rocky MtnATV (reviewed by 160 buyers at 4.5 stars)and Dennis Kirk.
Ebay rating, with almost 200,000 sales, of 99.9%
You'd THINK it would be OK?

wildcard 10-31-2014 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Broussard (Post 515699)

You should be happy with that RK chain, they make good stuff.... goofy marketing terms aside.