2006 klx250s - The blank slate.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2006 klx250s - The blank slate.

I posted an intro thread, but figured I'd start a thread in the klx section so I have something I can update and keep track of the work and mods I do on the bike and also post photos of my adventures. Here's a photo of the bike as it sits right now, 3800kms and bone stock:

I won't be doing much over the next couple week with it as I'm out of town with work, but that leaves me lots of time to read and order parts. So far I have a fresh pair of MT21's on the way (90/90-21, 120/80-18) and I ordered a set of folding levers as both levers currently on the bike have the ends broken off.

First priority will be giving the bike a good once over, greasing everything that moves, replacing/fushing all the fluids, and getting the bike ready for safety. After that is all done and I get some seat time, then I will start planning out some mods.

Oh and I also just joined my local trail riding association and by the sounds of it there is plenty of trails in my area to keep me entertained for a while

Old 02-23-2018, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like your off with a good start. She looks is great shape!

I highly recommend a big bore 330 or 351. Its makes the bike the way it should have been from the factory.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice. I conned/was able to persuade my friend into buying a klx250s

Old 02-24-2018, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the comments, I'm planning on riding the bike for a bit first before I do any mods, just so I can get a good baseline. First things I will probably do are jetting and drop to a 13T front sprocket as both are cheap and I don't plan on riding much highway with this bike. I looked into the 351 kit and I might do that next Winter if I'm really craving more grunt, but at the same time I didn't buy this bike to race hard enduro's or cruise long distances on pavement so I might be happy with just some gearing and jetting.

RaceGass, if your friend already owns a CR250R it probably didn't take much conning or persuading to get her to buy another bike hahaha

Old 02-24-2018, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by davewilson
RaceGass, if your friend already owns a CR250R it probably didn't take much conning or persuading to get her to buy another bike hahaha
Your absolutely right about that! She bought my '00 cr125r /ltr450 too, she has 3 kids lol

Old 03-25-2018, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Time for the first update. Today I mounted some fresh MT21's on my KLX and removed the sprocket, chain and chain guide to clean off years worth of gunky chain lube. I also paint-stripped the crappy black spray paint off the plastics, and I installed some ebay folding levers which fit perfectly. They even retain the clutch/brake switch functions.

Bike as it sits now:

Tires from L-R: 120/80-18 MT21, 4.60x18 D603, 3.00x21 D603F, 90/90-21 MT21..

Ebay Levers: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CNC-Dirt-Bik...72.m2749.l2649

Old 03-25-2018, 07:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice rig along with that sweet klx. Looking forward to seeing your bike getting farkled. I like the mt21 on my husky it wears well unlike a scorpion pro

Old 03-25-2018, 01:04 PM
1st Gear Member

do the levers serve a purpose or are they just for looks?

Old 03-25-2018, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Nice rig along with that sweet klx. Looking forward to seeing your bike getting farkled. I like the mt21 on my husky it wears well unlike a scorpion pro
Thanks man! Can't wait to get them both muddy this summer! Glad to hear you like the mt21

Originally Posted by addictedtogum
do the levers serve a purpose or are they just for looks?
I bought the levers because the oem levers had the ***** broken off the ends and these were a nice cheap and short replacement. I'm going to be running hand guards so I'm not too concerned about the strength or folding feature. I used to have ASV folding levers on my YZ450F and they were super nice, I don't think these ebay levers would hold up very well in a crash, but at $25 for a pair they work great.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Finally got the bike plated and took it out for a spin today. Handles good, but boy is it ever slooow. It was only 5ēC out so I didn't go for too long a ride, but long enough to get the bike warmed up. I found the throttle response really bad, coming off idle I would have to rev the bike way up and feather the clutch a bunch just to get the bike moving. Going to start by draining the gas and filling it with a fresh tank as I'm not sure how old the current fuel is. I also pulled the carb apart to see if it was gunked up at all but it seems fine, though nothing seems to have been changed from stock as far as the jets go. I'm going to order up a Dynojet 2206 kit too and hopefully that will help out a bit.

On another note, I installed a brand new Twinair filter as the oem filter was pretty rotten and started falling apart as soon as I tried to clean it.

What part number Twinair filter does everyone run? There were 2 that showed "klx 250" on the bag, but had different year ranges. When the employee at the parts counter looked it up on her computer, it showed a totally different part number (151352 - for a KDX 200). They all seemed to be about the same size, maybe slightly different height, but all the same diameter. I bought the one listed on the computer and it seems to fit well but is a bit tight to get over the frame compared to the oem one.

Quick Reply: 2006 klx250s - The blank slate.