Difference in batteries??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Difference in batteries??

Was just wondering if there is any big difference. There is the universal kind at canadian tire with the acid already in it for 40.00. Then I went to the auto parts store and they look up your bike in a book and tell me the one I want is 80.00 and I have to put the acid in myself. Would I be getting anything more for the extra 40?? Just a better battery life or something?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

i just bought a Bike Master TruGel AGM battery (100 CCA), 2 year warranty for $49.

Bikemaster TruGel Battery Information

Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow that seems like a good deal

Old 03-27-2011, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawrencecar
i just bought a Bike Master TruGel AGM battery (100 CCA), 2 year warranty for $49.

Bikemaster TruGel Battery Information
Did you find this price online? If so, please provide the link for others.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by larry0071
Did you find this price online? If so, please provide the link for others.
Here you go..

BikeMaster TruGel Battery MG7L-BS

Old 03-27-2011, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I just bought my first AGM battery for another bike. Picked the cheap one from Amazon because it was the only one that shipped free.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Seems like a good deal. Don't know how well a Gel-Acid battery will hold up against off-road abuse thou. But seeing you stated it has 100 CCA, that beats Interstate's AGM battery for the KLX (85 CCA). Usually a Gel-Acid battery is installed in where the mounting position may be required to be upside down or on its side.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Usually a Gel-Acid battery is installed in where the mounting position may be required to be upside down or on its side.
Sounds like the one for a KLX.

The Gel-Acid battery for my mountain bike lighting system has held up well. It's been well shaken and stirred.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Seems like a good deal. Don't know how well a Gel-Acid battery will hold up against off-road abuse thou. But seeing you stated it has 100 CCA, that beats Interstate's AGM battery for the KLX (85 CCA). Usually a Gel-Acid battery is installed in where the mounting position may be required to be upside down or on its side.
You can never count on that number (CCA) until you know what conditions the manufacturer tests the battery under.

Ive had brand new Chinese batteries (Daytona brand) that show a higher CCA rating than the stock Furukawa and Yuasa units, but the voltage drops off much more quickly while cranking the starter...they become useless in a hurry during cold starts. I'm running without an ACR though, so the extra power matters more

What it all comes down to is that the old addage 'you get what you pay for' is true in quite a few cases. Then again, most of you are still running stock cams with ACR, so it might not matter as much.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I have tested a many of batteries once a upon a time. And I know what you mean. A battery company may say this battery is rated for 850 CCA, but under real load testing, it may test out to be a 550 CCA. DieHard's and Interstate are the two that seem to really mean what CCA you really get.

As for that Gel-Acid battery. I looked into their website a little more, and realized that their Gel battery is a Hybrid. It uses the grids that make a AGM battery and the Gel type acid. So really, this battery should offer the best of everything. And if that 2 year warranty is a free replacement warranty, qudos to them. Most companies only offer a 6 month warranty for powersport batteries.

Quick Reply: Difference in batteries??