Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   What's this Red Stuff? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/whats-red-stuff-37281/)

davidgrip 02-17-2012 10:49 PM

What's this Red Stuff?

1 Attachment(s)
I just got my Race Bike! 09 KX 250F. What is this red stuff around the counter shaft? I think it's a sealant. I am not sure that he replaced the o rings and greased them when replacing the sprocket. Does anyone know the best way to remove/clean? When I am done, I will post my book end to my 09 KLX 250S. Thanks.

David

Attachment 4942

Nobrakes 02-17-2012 11:02 PM

What's the consistency? Is it red RTV? Semi-hard and a little rubbery?

Not sure about KX's, but on my KTM 200 there's no bolt holding the counter shaft sprocket on, just a lock ring. Maybe they've got the same thing on the KX, and he previous owner was paranoid about it popping off, so he put on that stuff for peace of mind?

IDRIDR 02-17-2012 11:05 PM

Ya, that looks like red RTV.
Under it should be the big nut holding the countershaft sprocket on, and a lock washer under that that should be bent down at one location over the edge of the nut to keep the nut from backing out.

2veedubs 02-18-2012 12:21 AM

Looks like red rtv, more than likely to keep the circlip from accidentally coming off. Most real off road bikes do not use the monster nut that the KLX does to retain the sprocket. Circlips or a retainer with two small bolts are easier when you need a quick gearing change.

Dragone#19 02-18-2012 12:26 AM

yup, it is silicone. Not sure why silicone is over the lock washer, but it does make a quick inspection while in the pits to see if things are loose and coming apart. Never seen a CS with the washer that was put on properly work lose. then again, I prefer a CS guard even though it weighs a few oz's as well. I use bright (blue or red) silicone on bolts that I cannot safety wire, just never thought that a CS would need that.

davidgrip 02-18-2012 02:02 AM

Thanks! Yes silicone to keep the clip washer from coming off. Wow a nut torqued on a KLX vs a clip on a KX.?

2veedubs 02-18-2012 03:14 AM

The clip is way lighter and easier to remove. I like that the previous owner was anal enough to silicone the clip. Hopefully he was that way with the rest of the bike.

Klxrelic 02-18-2012 11:53 AM

Maybe there's nothing under there and only the silicon is holding the sprocket! :D

Dragone#19 02-18-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Klxrelic (Post 463720)
Maybe there's nothing under there and only the silicon is holding the sprocket! :D

hahaha, hmmm, good point. I did not even consider that option/possibility

edit: My jaw is dropping with the reality picture of that possible reasoning. Really hope that you are wrong though. because if not, then what of the rest of the bike???? Is it held together with super glue?

deej 02-18-2012 03:01 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words, or in this case at least an answer....hahahaha