Well, there goes my bike hauler :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Well, there goes my bike hauler :(

I was in my backyard last evening tending to my crops.. I hear a loud **SMASH** followed by squealing tires.. I just knew it was my truck. I sprinted like Carl Lewis to the front figuring someone hit it and was trying to take off.. A new Jeep Cherokee Hemi edition was ***-first stuck to the truck. Some young chick was backing out of the street across from my house. She says her flip-flops got stuck on the pedal, and she went full throttle in reverse right into my truck.

In the second picture, that mud spot is where the front tire used to sit.. She moved the entire truck over more than a foot. That was some serious force she hit it with!!! If she was about 5ft to the left, she'd smash my Subie Legacy GT and I'd be a little more angry!

So now I gotta wait for her insurance to call. I'm sure it's totaled, it wasn't worth much.. But it was a great, reliable truck that I loved. Straight six, manual everything, 125k miles and like a tank.

She was a bit rusty thanks to the NE winters, but a good truck and will be missed She did a lot bike hauling for me and my friends over the years. She'd hold three bikes and gear like it was nothing. I doubt I'll be able to find another F150 just like that in that condition for the price I paid.

Waiting on her insurance to call.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Well that sucks. I don't have a car but one day I want to have a truck. They always seem to go for a premium for what you get don't they.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear man.... even if her insurance takes care of everything its still an enormous hassle... I hate accidents, even if they were not your fault.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey Larry,

We recently sold our 1986 F150 for $1,500. straight 6, manual, speedometer had rolled over 3 times already, over 350,000 miles, not a spec of rust in the bed. That truck was awesome. Ours was a darker blue color. Was a workhorse till the day we sold her plowing driveways.

Hubs locked for 4WD just likes yours.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah not looking forward to the insurance thing.. I'm not going to settle easy on this one. I planned to have that truck forever. Put good money into it to get it where it was. It ran perfectly, did whatever I needed.

They will either get me another comparable truck, or give me fair $$. I will be upset if (when) they start low-balling me.

Whattayagunnado.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

good thing you weren't working on it at the time. or kids playing in the driveway.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

B U M M E R!!
May not be totalled though. Looks as if the Jeep hit the tire and then rode up over it. So it may not have damaged the frame "just" the body. Rim even still looks OK.
Stand your ground with the insurance. Hope the driver learned a lesson about footwear not to wear while driving. And like RP said: could have been worse, way worse.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Yeah not looking forward to the insurance thing.. I'm not going to settle easy on this one. I planned to have that truck forever. Put good money into it to get it where it was. It ran perfectly, did whatever I needed.

They will either get me another comparable truck, or give me fair $$. I will be upset if (when) they start low-balling me.

Whattayagunnado.
Yeah, be careful there with the insurance company. It's usually not as big a deal on newer vehicles, but they often try to screw you when you have a vehicle this old. If they do total it but try to lowball you on the value, another option is to take a reasonable offer on the value and demand the salvage. This is often done by people who know something about older vehicles. It basically means you get to keep the vehicle and take their amount for the total. Often you can even retain the title without interruption so that no "salvage" designation even shows up. Regardless, at this point you can either collect salvage on the truck at a junk yard, part the vehicle out, or in some cases actually fix the vehicle and continue using it. Especially with a truck, the damage is often safely repairable, but an insurance company just wants to settle for the amount and move on.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:04 PM
red
1st Gear Member

If you want to keep the truck start looking at LMC truck .com they have alot of parts for your pickup at decent prices (most body shop's will use them because it's brand new parts). Insurance company will try to total it because of the age of the vehicle. If the windshield is not cracked then most likely your cab was not tweaked and the damage is limited to just the front body panels, which is a good starting point if you want to repair the truck.

Or if your willing to travel and would rather just replace it with a similar truck start lookin at craigslist and ebay in the southern states where rust is not a big problem. I missed out on a 1988 version of your truck for $1300 a few weeks ago.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

start pulling up every receipt you have for any new parts, recent service, etc. you have spent money on....start looking up similar year and make being sold in your area (dealership have the highest prices for used vehicles)....the value of your vehicle can be negotiated....depending on her insurance company, they may or may not low ball you....but, if they do low ball you, have all the documents and pricing ready to immediately counter with what you want instead...

Originally Posted by CousinLarry

Whattayagunnado.

Quick Reply: Well, there goes my bike hauler :(