Wanted a Yamaha XT but now I own a KLX 250s

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Wanted a Yamaha XT but now I own a KLX 250s

I just bought a 2009 KLX 250s. I've been looking on Craigslist and other online venues for a DS bike. There was two, 2007 Yamaha XT-225 bikes on Craigslist, but wouldn't ya know, they both sold before I could go look at them. I was pretty disappointed missing out on those two Yammies. They both looked to be in excellent condition and both were listed for $2500. That was pretty much the most I wanted to pay for a used machine.

I really had my mind set on an XT, they seem to have an almost cult following. But since none were for sale, I began researching other DS bikes. I read good things about the KLX and some say its a better off-road trail bike than the XT. I can't comment on that but after reading a lot of info online, the next day I decided to look around on eBay and Craigslist and guess what was just listed? Yup, a 2009 KLX 250s. It was just traded in on a new bike by the original owner and listed for sale. Only thing was the dealer was about 150 miles away. He was asking $2995 and said it was in excellent condition with 3800 miles.

Well, I called and talked to the sales guy and he said since I'm a few hours away he would hold it if I was coming to look at it. I called my buddy who has a pickup truck and I filled his tank with gas and off we went. Long story short, I offered him $2900 and he accepted. With tax and title I paid $3100 out the door. It was a little more than I wanted to spend. Not really a "screaming deal" but I think the price was fair. It could use a new back tire but other than that it seems to be in fine condition for a 4 year old bike.

My brother recently bought a nice place in northern Michigan near Mio, and there's a ton of trails up there. He got himself a brand new Polaris Sportsman 500. So I've been looking at DS bikes so I can go riding with him when I go up. I use to ride dirt bikes when I was a kid. Needless to say he has a better income than me, hence his new Polaris vs. my used Kaw. I was looking at quads but I also wanted something I could take a ride into town on as well as the trails.

There sure is a lot of good info here and I'm proud to be a Kawasaki owner. I love the lime green color and kind of think missing out on those Yamaha XT 225's was meant to be. I just hope that my KLX 250 is reliable and hope I didn't overpay a lot for it. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

Last edited by Trail Blazer; 05-10-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

the TX is a moped compared to a KLX, on or off the trail. Good luck with you bike.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

xt doesn't even compare to the klx250...

from memory...my maintenance and problems
  • 2,000 miles or so, the kickstand kill switch was disabled (would cut the engine when going over rough roads)
  • oil change & filter cleaning (permanent stainless steel) every 3,000 miles +/-
  • 8,500 miles valve check and shim replacement (out of spec)
  • 8,500 original spark plug goes bad, but i didn't have a replacement, so i dug one up out of the trash at a garage and replaced it on the spot and it worked!
  • 9,000 miles rear tires replaced for the first time
  • 10,000 miles flying steel garden rake blows out the front tire and replace front tire for the first time
  • 10,500 miles the spark plug out of the trash goes bad and replaced with a new iridium plug (currently running)
  • 11,500 miles clutch cable went out (replaced)

Old 05-10-2013, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666

from memory...my maintenance and problems
  • 2,000 miles or so, the kickstand kill switch was disabled (would cut the engine when going over rough roads)
  • oil change & filter cleaning (permanent stainless steel) every 3,000 miles +/-
  • 8,500 miles valve check and shim replacement (out of spec)
  • 8,500 original spark plug goes bad, but i didn't have a replacement, so i dug one up out of the trash at a garage and replaced it on the spot and it worked!
  • 10,000 miles flying steel garden rake blows out the front tire and replace front tire for the first time
  • 10,500 miles the spark plug out of the trash goes bad and replaced with a new iridium plug (currently running)
  • 11,500 miles clutch cable went out (replaced)

All of that sounds like normal TLC for a bike. A couple bad luck spots. But everything else seems like common wear and tear replacements and upkeep.

Should try managing a mid 90's bike, you don't get 1,000 miles without fixing something I own 6 myself, and boy, they are great..But looking forward to getting thousands of miles without replacing something tiny..lol

Old 05-10-2013, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666

My KLX 250 only has 3800 miles and the rear tire looks more than half worn. Is that normal? I'm wondering if perhaps the dealer rolled back the odometer.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

He must have been down to the cords. I think my stock tires lasted about 5K.
Motocross tires last about 2K. Tires really depend on where you ride and who much you twist the throttle, kinda like gas mileage.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

right before my rear tire change...no cord...just at the wear indicator......and, after

Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome I am also from Michigan
I also purchased an KLX250s about 4 weeks ago
also i joined a Dualsporters club here is there web page
Great Lakes Dual Sporters

i went on a ride with them 2 weeks ago saturday ride was over 100 miles of off road
and sundays ride was like 85 miles i had a blast and the STOCK klx250 did great

Go to the web page Ride 3 is in Fredrick I hope to see you there

BTW if your buying new tires for riding in Michigan you want kenda 760's in the back and scorpion pro
they are awesome in the sandy conditions we have in the great lakes

Last edited by zippets; 05-10-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ahnh666
He is talking about a 250s, hello. One cannot compare the tire wear of a knobby with a street tire. Tires that don't go through 1/4" mud are not tires.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Just bought 2004 xt225 for the fiance, 1800 miles, 1800 bucks. Couldn't be happier since I payed 3700 for my klx250sf with 8k miles on it

Quick Reply: Wanted a Yamaha XT but now I own a KLX 250s