Vortex Programmable CDI

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Vortex Programmable CDI

I want one of these for our KLX, our bike is not currently listed on the supported models. Any of you guys use one of these on other bikes you have owned. They might make one if they knew how many customers they would get. I contacted the USA distributer and was told we do not support that model, end of discussion. Maybe one of our Aussie riders could contact them directly and see what our options are?

Vortex Performance - Inventors of the Dual Curve CDI lead the way again with X10 CDI the smallest and most Powerful Programmable CDI’s available. The X10 CDI allows the user to select up to 10 different power modes as easily as adjusting clickers on your suspension. With the advent of X10 Technology the X10 CDI can be programmed with up to 10 Hi Resolution 3D Maps. This give the user the option to select from a range of power settings and customise the engines power delivery to suit a variety of rider styles, different track conditions, fuel octane levels or engine configurations.

As with the Dual Curve CDI the X10 CDI also allows the rider to change power modes dynamically via a Handlebar Switch. Yes I noticed the switch is yellow, nothing a little green paint couldn't fix.

From Mild to Wild the possibilities are endless with the X10 CDI

All Vortex CDI’s are factory programmed with Performance Maps developed through dyno and track testing exclusively with our network of technical support centres and top race teams worldwide.

Key Features
- Pre Programmed with10 selectable power settings via X10 Switch
- Instant Plug in Performance (replaces standard CDI with no mods to wiring required)
- Handlebar Switch for Dynamic Map Selection
- Small for weight saving and ease of mounting
- Rubber Mounting Boot + Brackets supplied (where required)
- V-Boost - Internal Voltage Boost Circuit for maximising Spark Energy across the entire rev range
- Power Jet Control - Multiple On / Off (where applicable)
- Rev Limiter (where required)
- Re-Programmable
- Race Proven Reliability

Here's a link to their website

http://www.vortex-performance.com.au/

Old 08-30-2006, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Vortex Programmable CDI

I want one!!!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Vortex Distributors

USA - Dirt Bikes

MT Racing

7505 Jurupa Ave
Riverside, CA 92504
PH: (951) 353 1253 FAX: (951) 353 1259
web: www.mtracing.com
email: mtracing250@earthlink.net

Old 08-31-2006, 07:43 PM

This is just a person comment . . . .

I don't think there is $400 worth of improvement! I would rather spend the $400 on something like upping the displacement to 292 cc!

Just a personal thing!

Old 09-01-2006, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

I don't think there is $400 worth of improvement! I would rather spend the $400 on something like upping the displacement to 292 cc!

Just a personal thing!

If I am not wrong, I understand that you need to purchase the 300 CDI box when converting to the larger displacement? If that is the case, I think a few hundred $ are in order anyway so the actual cost of this item is not so bad.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:24 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm not too keen on adding stuff for more horses that might hurt something......wait too late

Old 09-01-2006, 09:41 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cowboy 6
If I am not wrong, I understand that you need to purchase the 300 CDI box when converting to the larger displacement? If that is the case, I think a few hundred $ are in order anyway so the actual cost of this item is not so bad.
Wrong, just ask Nobrakes he has done the 300 upgrade

Old 09-01-2006, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

Just a personal thing!
LOL Thats why I posted it, I wanted some opinions on this thing, any ex MXers use this thing? I'm not near ready to consider something like this yet, I still got an anchor with a hole drilled in it dragging my *** down.

I saw this article where some Aussies modded a few 2001 KLXs into competitive MXs. They were getting 34 hp or something. Obviously some of the mods are not pratical for a trail bike but I thought some were interesting.

One was a custom carbon fiber tank that held 7 liters, it was built by a yacht builder...hmmm... I got some carbon fiber glass leftover laying around.

They used a 37mm FCR carb to replace the standard carby. This modification alone makes a massive improvement to the KLX's low to mid-range performance....well according to the article.

Third thing I thought was interesting...To enable the engine to reach maximum revs quicker a modified KX250 flywheel replaces the KLX flywheel. The KX flywheel is nearly 1.5kg lighter than the KLX equivalent.....Our flywheel weighs 3.3 pounds more than one off a KX? Ok Marty this has got you written all over it. LOL

Oh yeah, heres the article http://www.klxzone.co.uk/klx_dirt_action_article.html

Old 09-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Mav's right - no CDI change required when bumping up the cylinder size. My understanding is that the CDI gains advantage by changing the spark timing in relation to the crank / piston / valve position(s) for varying effect.

BTW, I learned from a fella over on advrider where to get higher than 300cc done - take a look at kustom-kraft.com. They actually bore out the 300cc cylinder and replate / retreat it, hone it, etc. They definitely do a 330cc bore size and I've got an e-mail into them about even higher. I've heard of folks going to 340cc, 364cc, and even up to 380cc. I'll pass along what they say.

Looks like you do need to buy the 300cc cylinder regardless, though, because from my understanding there's not enough metal wall thickness on the 250cc cylinder left after boring. A fella at Kustom Kraft mentioned a "wet sleeve" option, but says that is a little dodgy. This is a bummer for me since I'd like to send them my old 250cc sleeve while I continue to ride and enjoy my 300cc sleeve. So if I went higher, I would have to take my 300cc sleeve off, ship it to them, they do the work, and then ship it back including new piston, rings, etc. Cost is $440, I think. If you don't already have a 300cc cylinder, you need to figure in the cost for that.

I'm seriously considering this, but had a few more questions to them which haven't been answered yet - mainly about the even higher bore sizes and 100% confirmation that the quoted price doesn't include the cylinder, I don't think it does but I want to make sure. Considering my bike would be down for about 2 weeks while this work is done, this is probably something I'll do when the weather turns bad - maybe after the Tour de Pisgah in October.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member

More money than sense [8D]
lol
Remember Brian if you go for the largest size if you ever have a problem that involves boring the cylinder you will have to buy a new one cause it won't have any meat left to bore out.

Garry

Quick Reply: Vortex Programmable CDI