Undertaking the task of removing the ignition switch and mount tomorrow, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Undertaking the task of removing the ignition switch and mount tomorrow, any advice?

Finally getting around to replacing my headlight with the Trailtech X2 and replacing the stock ignition assembly with a toggle switch. I will also be remounting my Vapor speedo in between the headlight and triple tree.

I'm not looking forward to removing the stock ignition, or rewiring everything into the new toggle switch. We will see how it goes. I'll post pictures at the conclusion of this for a future Klxer that may need some help.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

The ignition switch has a pigtail about 6 inches long, then it plugs into the loom. Be very careful unplugging it. The electrical fitting is white plastic, and has locking tangs that keep it pulled up tight to the loom fitting. These tangs break easily, when you try to wedge them out so you can unplug it. Just don't try and hurry it. Don't try to do it when the temperature is cold. If you break the fitting, it will be almost impossible to get it to stay tight to the loom if you should want to ever re-install the switch assembly. If it isn't pulled in tight, you'll have an ignition switch with an intermittent failure mode, not good, not good at all! Good luck!

Last edited by Bake; 09-26-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Why are you removing the key?

Old 09-26-2011, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bake
The ignition switch has a pigtail about 6 inches long, then it plugs into the loom. Be very careful unplugging it. The electrical fitting is white plastic, and has locking tangs that keep it pulled up tight to the loom fitting. These tangs break easily, when you try to wedge them out so you can unplug it. Just don't try and hurry it. Don't try to do it when the temperature is cold. If you break the fitting, it will be almost impossible to get it to stay tight to the loom if you should want to ever re-install the switch assembly. If it isn't pulled in tight, you'll have an ignition switch with an intermittent failure mode, not good, not good at all! Good luck!
I don't think that I will be re-using the ignition switch. I have a 3pst toggle switch that I will be wiring in. Can you explain this a little more clear though? I want to be very careful to not mess anything up.

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Why are you removing the key?
There is not enough clearance for the X2 headlight. and the vapor speedo.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:20 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'd also hate to lose my fork lock. If I were going to basically just make my KLX a dirt bike, I think I'd go find a good, used, bonafide, full-on, dirt bike. Jhoff, the least I'd do is hide the ignition toggle somewhere very clever so that theft won't be as easy. I often like to hike away from my bike, even out in the boondocks, and I'd feel a little uneasy about it sitting somewhere in a ready-to-run state.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I'd also hate to lose my fork lock. If I were going to basically just make my KLX a dirt bike, I think I'd go find a good, used, bonafide, full-on, dirt bike. Jhoff, the least I'd do is hide the ignition toggle somewhere very clever so that theft won't be as easy. I often like to hike away from my bike, even out in the boondocks, and I'd feel a little uneasy about it sitting somewhere in a ready-to-run state.
Hey TNC,

I'm going to be caring a bike lock with me that I will wrap through the front forks back to the front of the engine on those symmetrical hooks. I'm also going to install another security toggle switch on the starter circuit and hide that one somewhere. Probably under the plastic.

Any of you guys have the wiring schematic/diagram for the inside of the ignition? I have a 3PST switch that I'll be wiring in. Shouldn't be a problem if I have the schematic.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

A padlock through the front rotor or rear sprocket will do as much as a bike lock. Don't forget to remove it before you leave though. been there done that.
Dan

Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

don't forget about the 100 ohm resistor....

Old 09-26-2011, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

jhoffy, the ignition can be a messy project. Redpillar has a thread on it. IDRIDR, and I also went this route (x-2 and vapor) there are pics and advice here on the forum, I'll try to look them up for you.
Dan

Old 09-26-2011, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: Undertaking the task of removing the ignition switch and mount tomorrow, any advice?