Understanding tire and tube sizes

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Understanding tire and tube sizes

Do the people that make motorcycle tires and tubes try to make tire and tube sizes difficult or is there a good reason??

My dunlop 603 rear is a 4.60-18.
It takes a 120/80-18 tube.
The rim locks I've found offer 4 sizes 1.60 / 1.85 / 2.15 and 2.75.

3 different sizing criteria for 3 different components of one tire

I'm having trouble finding a "120/80-18" tube but have found some listed like 4.50/5.10-18. How many sizing languages are there??

Is there a conversion or cross refferance chart somewhere that makes tire n tube sizes more understandable? It can't be as confusing as it looks.

I'm really only interested in getting the RIGHT / BEST tires and tire accessories for my 2006 KLX 250, can anybody just simplify THAT ??

Thanks.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member

This chart may help you. I'm not familiar with the different "dual sport" tire sizes. The KLX300 comes stock with a 100/100X18, while most, including myself, use a 110/100X18.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/articles.asp?ID=133

Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks John. The chart is noted and copied!

I figured it was something like that but I don't find places listing them both ways. I'd think it would be universally beneficial to list tires and tubes using both.

Still trying to make sense of the rim lock sizes but I'll get there,....eventually.

I'd like my bike as close to pure dirt as possible while still being "OK" on the highway. I'm not a hot corner rider or a speed demon. I'll give up some wearability for a stickier (pavement) tire though. When I replace the rear tire is there a particular size or type that is "best"?

Just in case anybody is interested there is an ebay listing for "Five Dunlop 18" Rear Inner Tubes". 5 Dunlop tubes for under $35.00 inc s+h.

Last edited by horizonod; 01-01-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

This thread may help some. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=25200
It won't answer your rim lock questions, but has some info on tire sizes for these bikes. The 130mm tire would have easily fit, but I still don't know if I would go up to it from the 120mm next time. Dan

Old 01-01-2009, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Rim lock sizes should be 2.15 for the rear and 1.60 for the front.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Is it OK to put three rim locks on the rear? Not that I need 3 but I don't like wheel weights for alot of reasons. If it won't cause any problems I wondered if 3 rim locks spaced equally apart wouldn't solve any balance problems.

Would 3 rim locks make riding with a flat more controlable and less likely to cause rim damage?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Three would be highly unusual. Two will be more balanced than one. It does make changing a tire more difficult. The second one is not spaced directly across from the first. It is spaced across from the center line between the first and the valve stem, if that makes sense. It forms kind of a triangle.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is Dunlops
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_tirecharts.asp

I see the D607 is for the more street guy and the D606 for the more Dirt guy.
I have not seen a D607 available.

They recommend the 120/90 -18

My understandiung is the 120 is 120mm across the widest cross sectional width from side wall to sidewall.
The 90 is the aspect ratio from inside the rim diameter to the tread diameter.
The 90 is 90% of the 120mm is in hieght. .90x120= 108mm

The lower the second number the lower the tires is off the rim.

ie 70's on trucks and 50's on the Mugen powered Honda's.
90's on the Dirt bikes. Aspect ratio wise we are really tall

The last is the rim diameter but there was probably no confusion there anyways

Hope that helps.
SlapDrum

Old 01-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default rim locks

3 rims locks is a bit overkill, assuming you got three rim locks of identical weight and got them positioned perfect all tires((99.9%) have heavy spots, if you buy a new tire for your car and look on the sidewall there is usually a red or white dot or circle or some mark to indicate the heavy spot and you mount that opposite the valve stem then put it on the balancer and balance it up. So if you put on your 3 rim locks you could still end up with an out of balance wheel because of the tire, also it will make tire work 3 times more awkward.Go with one lock and if your not doing high speed riding on the highway you will probably be fine. When I mounted mine it was no problems at all.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Once again I'm outside the box questioning conventional application of a modifacation. Isn't that what modders are made of??

I know I don't need 3. I probably only really need 1 but 1 seems unballanced so I thought I'd go with 2.

Since the factory rim lock hole is only a few spokes from my stem there is going to be more weight on that side of the wheel even with a second rim lock. 3 would be more balanced.

The MAIN reasons I even considered 3 was:

#1. Better balance than 1 or 2.

#2. When a tire goes flat it loses the bead and the tire wollows and wobbles around in the rim making riding very difficult and causing the rim to rid VERY low and become damaged.

With THREE rim locks a flat tire would be secured to the rim in a triangular configuration leaving only one thrid of the uniflated tire between eack lock. Wouldn't that lessen the effects of a deflated tire?

3 may be Overkill for the INTENDED purpose and make tire changes more tedious but if 3 rim locks would lock a flat to the rim and make the bike more ridable and/or save a rim, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Last edited by horizonod; 01-02-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Understanding tire and tube sizes