Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   UK KLX250 number plate melting (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/uk-klx250-number-plate-melting-37568/)

willb 03-30-2012 07:21 AM

UK KLX250 number plate melting

I have a KLX250 '09 model in the UK. Has anyone else had their number plate melt from the exhaust gasses? Mine has this and i have seen another in a showroom (the only other KLX250 i have ever seen, ever, anywhere - am I the only one inthe UK?)

If so have you had any assistance from Dealers for a new / revised one, come up with your own cunning plan or is it a case of a unique KLX feature - melted number plate = badge of honour.

Thanks Will.

EMS_0525 03-30-2012 10:15 AM

By number plate you mean the thing on the very back of the bike? The US call it a license plate. But im pretty sure every state in the US has metal license plates so it wouldnt melt like you describe. The plates are bigger to in the UK, im assuming they are plastic?

wildcard 03-30-2012 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by EMS_0525 (Post 468112)
By number plate you mean the thing on the very back of the bike? The US call it a license plate. But im pretty sure every state in the US has metal license plates so it wouldnt melt like you describe. The plates are bigger to in the UK, im assuming they are plastic?

This is what i was thinking as well at first. But i think the OP might be talking about the side panel on the bike that covers the exhaust, where a racer would put thier number.

Quick image grab from google -

http://www.drcproducts.com/motion/pr.../mx2_img02.jpg

mel brooks 03-30-2012 10:51 AM

Maybe something like this would help?

Heat Shield Tape | Heatshield Products'

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/up...1296500306.jpg

rgoers 03-30-2012 03:11 PM

I have an '09 KLX... Mine has some heat shield stuff stuck on the back side of the exhaust-side cover. My exhaust (CAT section) also has 2 stand-offs with rubber bumpers to keep the cover off the pipe.

I don't think my exhaust has ever gotten hot enough to melt the cover...

ahnh666 03-30-2012 03:58 PM

ditto..i have some silver insulation sticker or something on the exhaust side plastic...

Originally Posted by rgoers (Post 468147)
I have an '09 KLX... Mine has some heat shield stuff stuck on the back side of the exhaust-side cover. My exhaust (CAT section) also has 2 stand-offs with rubber bumpers to keep the cover off the pipe.

I don't think my exhaust has ever gotten hot enough to melt the cover...

Dragone#19 03-30-2012 04:03 PM

wow, good questions EMS and Wildcard....Number Plate? or license plate? They both are bill boards.

willb 03-31-2012 01:31 PM

UK Number / Licience Plate melting not the bike :-

2 Attachment(s)
What a quick set of replies thanks - the issue is the UK number plate (Licience Plate). It is not anything do with the Kawasaki bits failing, it has been nice and sunny here for a few days but I doubt it will ever be hot enough to melt my bike.

THe exhaust blows onto the number plate and it is melting away - I know I could cut a section off, and I think unlikely any traffic cop is anal enough to complain about it not being the correct size ~ the letteriing would still be compliant. I was just curious if anyone else has had this happen.

As mostly this is a US(?) forum todays lesson is on UK number plate logic

Mine starts "PN" - P = Preston where it was first registered, the N is just sequential.

"61" is sep 11 - to feb 12. We are now on "12" mar 2012 to aug 2012. this 6 monthly step will go on untill we get back to "51" which is where this system started in sep 2001 (i think), after that we need a new plan - possibly swop the layout about like the last time we ran out of years.

The "LKU" is a completely random - so the final plate is PN61LKU.

However, you see other arrangments, day 1 the first plate was "A1" then "A2" and so on. In the early '60's, plates with a year identifier came in so "ABC 123 A" the last A being the year plate. My first bike was a 1975 model so OBW 320 P. The year change was altered from Jan to Aug after "D" or "E" as no-one buys new cars/bikes in january. When we ran out of the alphabet the plate was reversed to "A 123 ABC".

You often see old plates on newer vehicles and there is quite a trade in this - non age related plates go for lots ~ "WAB 5" my intials has been quoted at around £8,000, thats one expensive status symbol ~ or a new bike or 2.

Right enough unlikely info for one day supermarket food shopping calls. Then a bit of green laning in North Yorkshire this afternoon.

rgoers 03-31-2012 09:51 PM

Looks like you will need to offset the plate to the left some, or get a different pipe... :confused:

LikesToThump 04-01-2012 12:12 AM

Cut the corner off... call it good, or maybe try some thermal tape on the back... but i think its a lil late for that