Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   U no like KLX, why Husky,KTM-not DRZ400 (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/u-no-like-klx-why-husky-ktm-not-drz400-10390/)

mikem1965 03-15-2007 09:17 PM

U no like KLX, why Husky,KTM-not DRZ400

Just curious- I see people ready to trade up to a husky, ktm etc.. but few people mention the DRZ400.. this was the one bike I looked at - but went with KLX for a couple reasons. why spend so much more on the others??

as far as being disapointed that you have to use a clutch to wheelie- can soemone explain why that isa big deal? does it ruin the clutch quickly?? I have no issues using the clutch to get that front wheel up high.

I have been at 160 on a busa- and the KLX doesn't disapoint me-

03-15-2007 09:40 PM

RE: U no like KLX, why Husky,KTM-not DRZ400

all of us here just have different backgrounds and only so much power or snap will suffice. i use to MX 2-strokes. i know my KLX will never have the snap of that bike but i do want some instant power. clutching gets old and can be hard on the clutch. the drz is a nice bike, but it's just kind of oversized and itself not a wheelie machine as i tested one out. i'm beginning to think that the way to get the KLX up to snuff is to install a pumper and at least 300cc's. i would pay right now to ride nobrakes' old bike for 5 mins. the husky's and ktm's just come outfitted with the finest components and are known for being extra durable and come with power oozing out unlike a lot of japanese bikes which need tweaking from the gitgo just like the KLX. in oem form, it is ridiculously down on power imo. but like i said, i use to mx 2-strokes. and i'm right with you on the speed thing and sportbike power- i've been to an indicated 170 on a '93 ZX7. i'll never forget how that bike would snort whenever you turned the throttle as it had a hole right on the front which sucked air for the ram air.

Nobrakes 03-15-2007 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: mikem1965
Just curious- I see people ready to trade up to a husky, ktm etc.. but few people mention the DRZ400.. this was the one bike I looked at - but went with KLX for a couple reasons. why spend so much more on the others??
This is obviously a very subjective area. Personally, the DRZ just doesn't turn my head like the other bikes. A lot of people love them, but they just don't do it for me. Honestly, I liked my KLX just fine with the mods I had done - it's pretty darn sweet by any standard. The lust factor of the KTM just got the better of me.

hoedogg 03-16-2007 01:58 AM

being a former owner of a husky i can vouch for the power they have and mine was a old 83, 430cc. i can't even imagen the power they have now[&:]and the new one's are sick looking. the only reason i got rid of it is wasbeing a sweedish made bike there was only one dealer in my area, and it was really hard to get parts if they did'nt have them in stock they had to order from sweeden.

DirtSurfer 03-16-2007 05:42 AM

I've personally been riding the DRZ 400 for a few weeks now when I go riding in the Pine Barrons with my son (who now KNOWS the bike is his[:@])

I love the power and throttle response of the DRZ, it pulls in any gear..

I HATE the heavy front end and the geometry of the fork to frame design. Too much of a road bike for the dirt.

BTW, it ROCKS on the road, very stable, very fast, lots of horses (my friend did the carb upgrade which helped even more!!)

But in the end, when it comes to dirt, I love the agility of the KLX!!!

NOW....Thats not to say that if I had $8,000I wouldn't get the Husky 450 in a heart beat... TRUST ME, I WOULD!!!! (It's fascinating how the payment of college tuitionS can bring one back to earth relatively quickly!!)

Can't waitto rideNobrakes old bike!!!

RU2112SH 03-16-2007 04:03 PM

My friend that I ride with has a drz. It is a nice bike with great power. It just doesn't feel right when I ride it. Kind of like the bike is giving me the ride instead of vice versa. I can throw the klx into the turns where the drz has that top heavy feel that doesn't inspire confidence. Don't get me wrong I would love to have its power on the hill climbs but I like the light handling of the klx.

tremor38 03-16-2007 04:22 PM

Once you get into the 400cc category, I think you need to take a long, hard look because thereare bikes that will put the DRZ400 to shame. Now, you could argue that companies such as Husky make a 250cc as well, butthe price difference between the KLX250 and a Husky TE250 is a much larger jump than from a DRZ400 to a KTM or Husky of similar displacement.

Personally, if I felt the desire to get a bigger bike, the DRZ would not be one of my choices.

03-16-2007 05:48 PM

you can get a TE250 for $6200 otd and the TE450 for $6800 otd pretty much at any husky dealer, trust me i've called them all around the midwest. and the 250 husky i was told by every dealer that it would feel like it has twice as much power as the KLX (2 of them dealers sold Kawasaki's tooand know the KLX). i'm sure they're talking a stock KLX though. however it is like 25lbs lighter than the KLX with a lot more horsepower so it's no surprise it feels that much more powerful i bet. the TE 450 i believe mayhave the most powerful 450 engine in any dirt bike currently. it's over 50 horse stock and built to withstand about anything so i read.

DirtSurfer 03-16-2007 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

you can get a TE250 for $6200 otd and the TE450 for $6800 otd pretty much at any husky dealer, trust me i've called them all around the midwest. and the 250 husky i was told by every dealer that it would feel like it has twice as much power as the KLX (2 of them dealers sold Kawasaki's tooand know the KLX). i'm sure they're talking a stock KLX though. however it is like 25lbs lighter than the KLX with a lot more horsepower so it's no surprise it feels that much more powerful i bet. the TE 450 i believe mayhave the most powerful 450 engine in any dirt bike currently. it's over 50 horse stock and built to withstand about anything so i read.
Was that dealer who told you that information by any chance named Mark E. Ting??:D:D

double d6 03-16-2007 08:55 PM

Seems as though alot of people here ride with a Drz 400 Buddy, myself included.
I just don't like the look of the bike and it is kinda heavy.
The KLX just hasthat "dirtbike" look, whereas the drz is like a beefy moped!!
To each his own I guess, I still enjoy riding with the Drz because it keeps me moving faster than I would if I where alone!!!:D

Dave